Air Noise with Mixing Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

mmessier2

Reaction score
Background:

I have this system in my shower: VASILIS SHOWER SYSTEM WITH RAINFALL SHOWER AND HAND SHOWER. See the link for more details

https://www.signaturehardware.com/vasilis-shower-system-with-rainfall-shower-and-hand-shower.html

We had a faulty cartridge so I swapped it out. After the swap, there is a noise which I attribute to air, when the valve is mixing hot/cold AND the rainhead is being used. There is no air noise when the handheld sprayer is selected, nor is there any noise when turned all the way to hot or all the way to cold. I thought it might be the new mixer valve so I ordered another one and the noise is still there.

I took a video that shows what is happening:

It is driving me crazy, does anyone know how to eliminate this? Thank you!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
How was the water turned off to change the cartridge? With stops at the valve body, with hot and cold shut offs, or at the water meter? Have you tried it with just the cold off or the hot off? It's sound like turbulence (water is captivating) inside the cartridge when there is very low back pressure or a seat washer in a stop valve or debris may be vibrating during a high flow rate. Try backing off the hot or cold water for a little less water flow. If you unthread the hand held you may get the same results.

mmessier2

Reaction score
How was the water turned off to change the cartridge? With stops at the valve body, with hot and cold shut offs, or at the water meter? Have you tried it with just the cold off or the hot off? It's sound like turbulence (water is captivating) inside the cartridge when there is very low back pressure or a seat washer in a stop valve or debris may be vibrating during a high flow rate. Try backing off the hot or cold water for a little less water flow. If you unthread the hand held you may get the same results.

Thank you for your reply. The water was turned off via a main shutoff at the exterior of the house. There is no way to shutoff only the shower. I have not tried shutting off the hot water heater and running a test. I opened up the handheld and could not duplicate the result. Since I am unable to adjust flow of water to the hot cold specifically to that shower valve/cartridge, what would you recommend I do? Thank you again

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Backing off on the water is to reduce the flow. It’s to prove what side is causing the issue but not that you want to leave it that way. I’ve done it on most of my toilets to reduce the noise during the fill, especially just before the water stop flowing.

What was the first problem with the cartridge? Maybe some debris is stuck in the rain shower head diverted valve. Is there a rebuilt kit for the diverted? Is it possible in install the main cartridge 180 degrees off?

I’m not a plumber and I cannot find a parts view for this valve body. Some cartridges, like a Delta, have o rings or seals at the base of the cartridge and when removing them, at times these o rings stay stuck in the valve body. A new cartridge is installed on top of the old seal but usually causes leaks, etc. Just something to check.

mmessier2

Reaction score
Backing off on the water is to reduce the flow. It’s to prove what side is causing the issue but not that you want to leave it that way. I’ve done it on most of my toilets to reduce the noise during the fill, especially just before the water stop flowing.

What was the first problem with the cartridge? Maybe some debris is stuck in the rain shower head diverted valve. Is there a rebuilt kit for the diverted? Is it possible in install the main cartridge 180 degrees off?

I’m not a plumber and I cannot find a parts view for this valve body. Some cartridges, like a Delta, have o rings or seals at the base of the cartridge and when removing them, at times these o rings stay stuck in the valve body. A new cartridge is installed on top of the old seal but usually causes leaks, etc. Just something to check.

I replaced the cartridge to try and solve a knocking sound in the mixer, its a design flow in the system, I have been fighting it since the initial install, its an entirely different story. There is a possibility debris have gotten into the rain shower diverted valve during the install, slim but it could have happened. I can not turn the main cartridge as it fits in a slot that wont allow for flipping around.

I think I may need a professional at this point to either rebuild or replace that diverter

mmessier2

Reaction score
For reference this is what the diverter looks like:
diverter.JPG

Fitter30

Reaction score
Do you have a water regulator valve on the entering water? Have you checked the water pressure? High pressure could cause the noise.

mmessier2

Reaction score
Do you have a water regulator valve on the entering water? Have you checked the water pressure? High pressure could cause the noise.

I do not have a water regulator. This noise has not always been the case, only since I swapped the cartridge, but then another cartridge swap didn't alleviate it.... so do you think there are debris in the diverter? I can only shut the main water on and off to the house, and the hot from the water heater.

Any ideas?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks