Air lift to clean 2" Casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Pr0t0c01

Reaction score
Hey again, so my situation with my well seems to be steady, running better than a few months ago, but it still runs out eventually. In an effort to avoid spending $3k having a 6" well put in, I'd like to try running a single tube with a compressed air hose in it down to bottom to create an air lift to clean out lots of silt that is at the bottom. I'm hoping this will help it's recovery.

The issue I have is how you seal the casing and branch out to a hose that will have your dirty water going out. This is located inside my garage to make matters worse, so I wanted to seal it at the top of the casing which has threads.

Is there a good solution to this, any combination of parts or a premade piece for this purpose? I'd imagine a seal with 2 holes out the top that are sealed would do the trick. 1 for the compressed air in, one for the out hose?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even a diverter elbow and pipe will be messy. You need to be able to move the air pipe up and down through the elbow, so it can't have a perfect seal.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You need a Tee at the top of the casing with the side port used to direct away the mud and water. On the top port you add a stand pipe that is as tall as you can reach to work the air line up and down. Keep in mind that the air line needs to be heavy enough so it doesn't get air lifted.

Pr0t0c01

Reaction score
Can you link a picture of a standpipe. I made a 2x2x1 1/4 tee into what you were talking about after watching a few videos on the principal. However, couldn't figure out adjustability. So I just opened the top which had a 2 way reduced to allow me threaded to PEX barb. I "sharpened" the 3/4 pex on all sides and ran it down the casing, which around the last 10 feet I could feel it sliding through silt.

I compressed with a 3 gal 120psi compressor and alternated with my 30gal 175psi tank. This for about 4 hours I got 300+ gallons of water and 5 1/2 inches of silt in the bottom of a bucket. When I did the math on a bucket assumed 10" at bottom (lower than actual) compared to 2" casing minus my 3/4 pex (5/8 OD), I got more than 10.5 if not closer to 11 feet worth of silt out. The water mostly comes out clean.

I'm not sure how much more efficient I could have been if it were adjustable, I was only a few feet from bottom which is assume the pressure and upward pull of the bubbles would have pulled most of it out. I'll be hooking my water back up tonight to see if this fixed my issue. This silt is very fine and acts as oobleck, so not allowing much flow if stacked 10+ feet high.

Here is to hoping!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks