Air in the system

Users who are viewing this thread

05cavalier

Reaction score
It seems like everything that can go wrong has gone wrong this week.

Quick sprinkler setup:
Zones 1, 2, and 3 are in the front yard are slope downward towards the road. About half are the lowest point on the property, half are on flat-ish ground. All are pop up type sprinklers. I am on irrigation that is separate from the main city water and there is no visible leaks anywhere in the yard.

Normally no one is at my house through the day so I have no idea how long this issue has been happening. Randomly someone went home to get something during lunch and noticed. They noticed a couple times that the front sprinklers (zone 1 and 2) had a sound of air coming from them for a couple seconds. My sprinklers have been on for about a month now, maybe more. When they first start up there's a little air in them but after 1-2 seconds it's gone and the stream is nice and full the entire time. No leaks in the yard that are seen. I'm a little worried for 2 reasons. 1) After a month, shouldn't the air be out of the system? 2) They were set to run at 8 am, so here at noon I wouldn't expect them to still be spitting air occasionally.

Are either of these normal or are they issues? Could this be caused by multiple people in my subdivision turning their systems on throughout the morning? As I mentioned, I have no idea if this is the first time it's happened or if it happens every day they run. I also don't know if they continue spitting air for multiple hours or if it's just random throughout the day. By evening, I've never noticed it. The roommate said no water came out, just a quick spit or 2 of air and then it was done.

P.S. Possibly related: This spring one sprinkler cracked vertically just below the nozzle. It's right by the road and numerous times the UPS trucks have parked right on it/close enough to it to possibly have run it over. No direct evidence they did or didn't break it. Another sprinkler in the same zone had the actual nozzle spray piece blow partially off as if it was cracked and finally gave out. To the best of my knowledge all sprinklers are going on 9 years old. Could the damage actually have been caused by the air in the system as described above?

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's normal. Most sprinklers do not have any backflow prevention. There are some but usually bought online or at a irrigation dealer.

When the water is turned off, the water will drain out of the sprinklers on the downward slope and pulls air from other sprinkler heads. At you water connection you may have a valve like this, with or without a solenoid depending on your valve system. This device saves your drinking water supply from being contaminated from the irrigation system.
282ba6e5-f44b-466f-975d-05ec7a34ff7e_145.jpg
3/4 in. Anti-Siphon Irrigation Valve with Flow Control

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks