Air in lines, always

Users who are viewing this thread

s10010001

Reaction score
First off my setup.
Well water pump, feeds 1100 gallon storage tanks, feed j10s, to CSV to house. House has a softener, filter and UV.

My hot water is always sputtering air when I first turn it on. It’s mostly stops after a min but kinda sputters air randomly throughout the shower.

any idea what this means? I purged the air in the water heater. Pressure problem? Jet pump feed problem? CSV adjustment issues?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Describe the filter. Is is a cartridge type or backwashing iron filter? An iron filter might be introducing air to oxidize the iron. Aerated water when heated can have the air driven out of it. You can observe that phenomenon with bubbles forming when heating a pot of water on the stove.

Perhaps you have a minor suction leak on the pump intake drawing from the storage tank.

The softener brine line air check might be faulty letting air into the softener after the brine has all been drawn.

As to why it affects only the hot water, it could be as mentioned above or perhaps the Tee-off to the water heater is such that air will always take that path.

Some folks have added a high loop of pipe in-line with an air remover at the top.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may have a small vacuum leak. Slather some shaving cream foam over all joints between the tank and the pump, especially where the intake pipe comes into the pump. Run the pump, and look to see if the foam is being sucked in.

If the air only followed softener regeneration, there is a softener problem that could have explained air.

s10010001

Reaction score
It’s a normal salt based softener, tank with beads and brine bin. The filter is just a 4.5 x 10 cartridge filter. There is two housings but one is empty since I only use a sediment filter now. Could the empty one cause this?

the air vacuum makes the most sense since I had to re-work the plumbing in the snow storm to get my water back... it’s not the best job, it’s a crappy job actually, I used what I had. It’s ugly, some new, some old, glue only, I didn’t have primer.

I was planing on re-doing it when pipe fittings are back in stock, for now I’m letting (and helping) everyone else get their water working before I go buy parts again.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Could the empty one cause this?
No. Sometimes you can have a suction leak that does not manifest as a pressure leak when the pump shuts off. This often happens where you have threaded plastic fittings. Shaving cream as reach4 suggests might be able to track it down.

If this just happened after reworking the piping, then your work is the first logical place to look. That said, it could be coincidence so I would also look at the brine draw air check.

s10010001

Reaction score
sounds good, thanks gentleman!

I will just deal for now. In the coming few weeks when I re-do my own Tanks/Pump house plumbing I will fix it up nice and go form there. Sounds like that will likely fix it. Its a hack job in there right now. almost all my pipes froze and burst when Canada attacked Texas.. I'll bet something form my emergency repairs is leaking in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks