Air in heating pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I’ve got a Weil McClain 7 year old propane fired high efficiency boiler. All summer it runs and produces domestic hot water to a 50 gal indirect tank. The piping for 5 zones is copper at the boiler then oxygen proof 3/4 inch pex throughout the house. Every year when there is a call for heat every zone has air gurgling throughout except for the zone 5 hot water tank. It takes a long time to purge all the zones. There is a spirovent installed with a new expansion tank #30. Where and why is there air in every line ?
I know the baseboard fin radiators at not used throughout the summer but a throughout inspection of the piping in the basement showed no leaks. Could it be permiating thru the oxygen free pex? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
See if you lose water thru the pressure relief. That would than bring in new water which will have dissolved gas.

If you do lose water, your relief valve may be a problem, or your thermal expansion tank may be too small, your refill valve may leak, your thermal expansion tank air precharge may not be right. My comments are not based on experience, but on other posts.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No bleeders used
I was taught that you need bleeder valves in a Monoflow system
I have a one loop per zone
Huh? Bleeders have all kinds of applications for hydronics, but anyway. You need to find a weak point for vacuum. Is there a chance your way over pumping?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Take some.pics of boiler ,piping, pumps and expansion tank. All boiler systems need devices to get rid of air in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks