Air gap vs high line loop dish washer drain . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

sjh

Reaction score
Will a high line loop work as well as an air gap for my dishwasher? Wife does not care what the State of California wants, she does not want a air gap on the countertop!

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. In normal operation, it will work as well or better.

The air gap purpose is to prevent water from going from the drain back into the dishwasher. I don't know what all would have to go wrong for that to happen.

If it is already installed, maybe this would interest her -- a liquid soap dispenser that is supposed to replace the cap on an airgap: https://www.homedepot.com/p/PartsmasterPro-Air-Gap-Soap-Dispenser-in-Brushed-Nickel-52004/206595427

There are a also combination air gap +soap dispensers. I don't know how well they work with a dishwasher.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, an air gap will always prevent contamination from finding its way back into the dishwasher from your sink drain. A high loop will do the same MOST of the time. It depends somewhat on your fault tolerance level once you realize that you could get sick if there was a problem and you have a high loop. Sort of like using your seat belt, but never being in an accident. Do you wear it, or not, and take the chance. Personally, I've been driving decades, and never actually needed the seat belt or air bags, but I'm still glad I have them.

A commercial location will have an air gap on their dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks