Air Gap is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Rami2022

Reaction score
I installed a new sink and the plumber did a totally new connections between the sink, dishwasher. Air gap, etc. (No Garbage disposal has been installed). Two weeks after the installation I am getting water coming from the air gap when I run the dishwasher. (I rinse everything before i put it in the dishwasher to remove any food particles).
When I called the installer I have been told that: "This is common with sinks that do not have a garbage disposal, as food can get stuck in the p-trap".
1. Is this a true statement, or just an excuse on their part ?
2. Can this (block of the air gap) happen in 2 weeks time frame?

Thank you,
Rami

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
"This is common with sinks that do not have a garbage disposal, as food can get stuck in the p-trap".
That doesn't make any sense at all... a disposer is connected to a p-trap.. so that is just a lame excuse.

2. Can this (block of the air gap) happen in 2 weeks time frame?
Yes, anything can happen.

How is the air gap connected? The dishwasher hose which is usually clear/translucent/gray should be connected to a vertical port on the bottom on the Air Gap. The dishwasher pumps up into the air gap and then the waste falls down the gravity drain to the sink drain or disposal. That hose is typically a black rubber hose and should not have any kinks or bellies in it. It needs to have a nice gentle downward slope from the air gap to the drain connection.

Rami2022

Reaction score
Under the sink.png

This is how it looks under the sink....

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the installation. It looks perfect. Perhaps taking the decorative cap off the air gap and opening up the top to see if there is any chance a piece of debris is stuck in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks