Air flow in toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt me

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have two Gerber toilets that flush way better if the lid to the tank is left off the tank. I try to leave them propped up but when people lean back against them the lid falls back in to place. Any advice on how to improve air behind water for better flushing?

Reach4

Reaction score
My first thought was to bend some #8 awg bare copper wire into inverted U shape to fit over the top rim of the tank. Have several spaced around. Unless they smash down, those could turn and fall potentially.

Second thought was to find some aluminum channel that fits over the top, and slice off pieces. Space out maybe six or eight 1/2-inch-long pieces.
everbilt-metal-channels-800167-64_145.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never heard of such a thing.. Toilet tanks can't have that tight of seal with the lid unless someone caulked it. They normally have a divot or gap built in at the back side for overflow to spill out the back. **OK, scratch that.. looked at our office Toto and its flat and close fitting..**

I would love to see a video of this!

But an easy solution would be to use the clear silicone bumpers from a kitchen cabinet and adhere 4 or 6 of them around the top of the tank. The lid would rest on those as a cushion and that would increase the airflow dramatically and the lid wouldn't fall back in place.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I flush my Kohler (that my wife bought) with wet fingers, I can feel the breeze whistling past my fingers when I push the button on top.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Just use some rubber or felt peel & stick furniture feet to create a gap. Check if there is any water splashing during fill that might escape through the gap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks