Air compressor specs for blowing out small cabin pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Spig

Reaction score
Homeowner for a short time here, and still learning about this stuff. The old compressor graciously left by previous owner seems to be winding down its life, and since, although it's "portable" it weighs a ton and is as loud as such a thing could imaginably be, I'm going to get a new one. Its sole use is to blow out the water pipes of the small cabin during cold months. We only have a bathroom and shower (literally on the other side of the pump and water heater closet) and a kitchen sink not much further away, with copper pipes, and we have outside spigots in front and back. It's from a single well but no underground pipes to deal with here for this, and no sprinklers or anything else. No nail guns or tools, so it doesn't need to be up to those tasks. But what specs and tank size do I need for this? When I see comparisons of models between $75 and $175 it's all about how they handle nail guns and truck tires and no one talks about the perfect, no frills small electric compressor for blowing out water pipes. If I didn't have to bring it out from the shed in back, where it has been decreed it must reside, the weight wouldn't be such a factor, but as long as I'm secretly hoping it's shot and have agreed with myself to get a quieter one, might as well make it not such an unwieldy annoyance. We have no basement, just a crawl space, and since I lug it around to a few areas to connect it (and then bring it back to the shed :( ) size and weight enter into it.

I get that the size of the tank gives you longer air time and then takes a bit to refill, but I'm clueless as to how that spec, and the rest, PSI, etc, serve to inform this choice. Any advice on what I need and don't need is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

David

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I get that the size of the tank gives you longer air time and then takes a bit to refill, but I'm clueless as to how that spec, and the rest, PSI, etc, serve to inform this choice.
Size can compensate for CFM provided the delivery from the tank is not choked by what is inline. Small compressors usually have equally small tanks/ports/regulators/hoses. Take for example tire bead blasters... they can be filled very slowly and then deliver a lot of air very fast for a very short time. A carry air tank can similarly deliver air faster then it takes to charge it.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Blowing out lines needs high pressure and volume. Air compressors are loud buy the biggest hp in your budget. Just remember the larger the hp the less recover time to refill the air tank. Pull motor and compressor off old compressor. Pipe new compressor or use 1/4" air hose minimum to run into old tank. This will give you more volume. Can use the the relief valve off old compressor. Don't forget to pour rv antifreeze in all drains , toilet tank and toilet ( flush toilet to drain tank). Since well pump is in the house use self limiting heat trace around the pump and piping. If there is any pipe plugs in the pump pull them blow water out of pump. Leave all valves open.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Leave all valves open.
I close the valves when done to keep insects out. Garden hoses I connect the two ends together. Originally I didn't and one time I ended up with bugs caught in screens.

After I blow out the water, I blow some antifreeze through so if any water is left to puddle in a low spot, it won't turn to ice.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you would pay attention to the SCFM rating at 40 psi (the lowest pressure rating that I remember seeing).
Blowing out lines needs high pressure and volume.
What pressure are you thinking? I guess the pressure would be to charge up a tank, and release a blast of air, because I wouldn't think that high pressures would be needed during the flow. But I have never even seen this done.

Spig

Reaction score
When I mentioned getting a new small compressor to a fellow in line at the hardware store he said to that if I had a leaf blower or shop vac that could blow (I have small, modest models of both) that I should just use them.

I’ve never heard of that, and for all I know he could be the guy everyone in town knows is bonkers, but I’ve been told crazier things. Where on the scale of ridiculousness/greatness is that?

Reach4

Reaction score
I blow out my sprinkler lines for winter with my shop vac. I don't see why it wouldn't work for your cabin.
Do you leave the sprinkler heads in place, or open those connections somehow? Maybe that make a difference in how much pressure would be needed.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I leave the sprinkler heads in place. I am assuming his cabin is all on one level, so it shouldn't take a lot of pressure to move the water out an open drain. My shop vac is 4.5 hp 14 gallon with 2" hose, so it may deliver a little more air than a smaller one, but I don't think you would need a lot of air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks