Air Chambers, Pipe behind shower wall that just terminates

Users who are viewing this thread

Cody

Reaction score
I am replacing the bathtub in our house and in doing so will be changing out the shower valve, but after searching the forum and Google, I can't seem to find an answer to a question I have.

After exposing the current plumbing I noticed there is a little more than a foot of pipe that goes straight up and then just terminates (see picture). It is the same way for a pipe on the other side that leads out from the bathroom and into the kitchen.

What is the reason for this? Do I need to maintain the same setup when I install the new shower valve or can I just replace it with a 90 degree fitting that then goes straight to the new valve?

Attachments

• Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,496

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are air chambers. No longer installed, as they water log over time and become useless.
Newer shower valves a slow closing anyway, and no longer need water hammer protection. I haven't installed air chambers since the 70's.

Things that need hammer protection in a home are
Dishwasher
Ice Maker
Clothes Washer.
For those I use hammer arrestors that have a sealed piston. They don't water log. Well...........sorta don't. They do wear out over time.

moen-chateau-air-chambers.jpg

Cody

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply Terry. I've used this site a lot over the past few weeks and it's been great, but I haven't had to actually make an account until now. My house was built in 68 so that makes sense. I'll just get rid of it then. I'm guessing I can leave the one in place on the other side, since it doesn't sound like it's hurting anything, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks