Air Chamber, What function does this serve?

Users who are viewing this thread

M Barnes

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance. What function does this long, capped, vertical copper tube serve that branches out from below the water shutoff valve on 1/2" pipe? What is it called?

IMG_2676.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Old school air chamber for water hammer. They become filled with water and no longer work as desired after awhile.
We now use hammer arrestors for the dishwasher, ice make and the clothes washer.

mini_resters.jpg

This have a piston inside.

icemaker-box-install-3.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theres a diagram in the Illustrated UPC that shows the air chamber and why they think it loses air basically by cycling air and water in and out of the chamber, the air is replaced by water. I think that the air is simply absorbed by the water under pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An air chamber can tend to work for a few months, then tends to become saturated, and just stagnant water. Before we had all of the synthetic rubber and silicone materials, that was the best they could do. SHutting the water off, they don't always drain, just like when you put your finger over the end of a straw.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know if in later UPC code books it has the sizes needed for air chambers in lieu of hammer arrestors. Or if they are still permitted in lieu of a arrestor?
Code requires them but I hardly see a need (hammer arrestor) on a well plumbed home . it is an once of prevention though. I think 10 dollars more worth of strapping would be twice the value of an arrestor

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Solenoid valves can cause some pretty significant shock waves in pipes, so a hammer arrester isn't a bad idea. Some shower valve designs specify one with their installation, but it's not common in that situation. SOme toilet fill valves can be pretty abrupt. So, the issue is two-fold...the actual shock waves in the system, and poorly installed pipes that end up moving, literally hammering on some surface. You can help resolve the latter, but the former will always occur on a fast-acting valves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A friend of mine used to be woken up several times during the night when the ice maker finished filling the trays.
I gave him a hammer arrestor to fix that. He slept better after that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks