Air at the lake

Users who are viewing this thread

daveatthelake

Reaction score
Hello all I hope someone can help. We have a seasonal camp here in Maine. the water for the camp comes from a point in the ground adjacent to the lake and is pumped to a well x troll bladder style holding tank.

The problem we are having is that when we opened the camp for the summer last year there was always air in the plumbing. The pump is a few years old and in good working order. The well x troll tank bladder has ruptured but still works to a degree. We will be replacing the tank this spring. the real problem is that if you turn on the water you get good pressure but it always seems to develope air in the line. When I turn on the water in the spring we always get that air spray pressure situation for a few minutes but then it goes away. The thing is all last year we had that just turned on air problem every time we let the water sit for a few hours. It has been suggested to me that there may be a leak in the line from the well point to the pump and it is sucking air and water and the air is entrained in the water then migrates to the highest points - the faucets and toilet and sprays when we turn it on. Does this make sense to anyone. Please help.

daveatthelake

Reaction score
One more thing

I read few more threads.... this is how the system has been for the past 20 years or so.

well point next to the lake - black plastic hose to a check valve before the pump - pump sits on the tanks pumps into the tank then intot he house. the tank holds pressure beautifully. not sure if the water is draining back to the well point. Just thought i would mention this stuff too. thanks..... :cool:

daveatthelake

Reaction score
did i offend with my question noone has offered any thoughts though 35 have viewed it .....anyone? :confused:

Speedbump

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a suction leak somewhere Dave. Air will settle out of the water after a given amount of time and go to the high point. With a check valve at the pump, you are letting the suction line become a possible place for air to get in. After the pump shuts off, this line goes under a vacuum. Any leak will let air in while the water tries to assume it's normal static water level. Then the pump comes on, loses it's prime for a while until the air is put into the tank or plumbing and the cycle continues.

If you have a well 2" or bigger you should have 30 foot of droppipe in the well with a foot valve on the bottom. Then you can remove the check valve at the pump. Or if the well is smaller, move the check valve as close to the top of the well as possible. This will eliminate some of the suction line as an air leak when the pump isn't running.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks