Age old question of brass fittings into stainless

Users who are viewing this thread

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this and I am sure I will probably get different answers as my friend Google gave me mixed results. I have water filters that have 1 inch stainless steel female connections. I used 1 inch male to 3/4 Propex brass fittings with teflon thread tape. Not sure why I started questioning my work, but stumbled across various opinions that the brass and 304 Stainless will cause galvanic corrosion over time. Of course all is well right now, but I don't want to deal with issues in a few years. I found some 1 inch to 3/4 potable schedule 40 bushings that I can then thread either poly or brass fitting into to avoid the metal to metal contact. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

1656966735388.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No problem. 316 is always better and more expensive and harder to find. The only time one would need 316 is underground. 304 is plenty fine for mixing with brass. Don't read things on the internet. The internet doesn't know how to sort bad info from good.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No problem. 316 is always better and more expensive and harder to find. The only time one would need 316 is underground. 304 is plenty fine for mixing with brass. Don't read things on the internet. The internet doesn't know how to sort bad info from good.
Except here. Here we're good. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that your photo, or one you found? When you have expansion PEX-A in a straight line like that, it can be harder to hook up. If that is your photo, you figured it out.

Also consider, do you want a drain valve

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
Is that your photo, or one you found? When you have expansion PEX-A in a straight line like that, it can be harder to hook up. If that is your photo, you figured it out.

Also consider, do you want a drain valve
Yes they easy way to do it was build from inside outward. I connected the 2 filter heads ahead of time, then put the brackets on them to mark the Pleiades for the bracket screws. Then mounted them and works outward with rest of pex. Unfortunately I was off a tad as you and see the, slightly off level.

And yes I put in a drain valve as well. Did not want to attach board to concrete foundation so hung 2x4 from ceiling. This also allowed me to put 2x4 behind the brackets so the lags are 2 inches through the 3/4 ply into 2x4 for added strength holding them.

1657010693345.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks