Afraid contractor will mess up a Toto Unifit install...need advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

lindseybp

Reaction score
We have a contractor putting in a powder room. I believe he contracted out the plumbing piece as far as running new pipes and setting up the rough in but he is installing the actual toilet and sink. We recently bought a Toto Vespin II and I don't think he is familiar with Toto's. He expected a wax ring to be in the box with the Toto and was a little suprised to see the "adapter" piece in the box and no wax ring. I think he is just going under the assumption that the part that goes into the rough in just fits on there even though the hole on the Toto "adapter" piece is smaller than the rough in hole....is this correct? Obviously I don't know much about installing toilets so I was hoping someone on here could help me. I can take a pic of the rough in if that helps. Just want to make sure this guy doesn't screw this up so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto does NOT include a wax ring with their toilets, but one IS required to seal the Unifit adapter to the flange, just like if it was a toilet. Nor do they include a hose to the fill valve. THen, the toilet sits on the adapter and is sealed by the rubber gasket so it is watertight the whole way.

Typical plumber...doesn't want to read the instructions, which are quite clear. If the floor has tile, he may not have a proper drill bit to anchor the adapter to the floor. This is CRUCIAL, since otherwise, the toilet will not be stable. Depending on the tile, it may work with a carbide bit, but a diamond core bit works on any hard surface. Some porcelain floor tile can be nearly as hard as diamonds, and carbide just won't cut it - literally. A but may wear it away, but you may go through more than one. A good diamond bit will slice through it quickly, as long as you keep the bit wet and don't press too hard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
flange_02.jpg

Place a wax ring on the floor flange. Two if it's below the finished floor.

flange_03.jpg

Ready to drill the floor and set the Unifit with a wax seal.

If the contractor is willing to read the instructions that come with the toilet, it will be fine.
Many throw away the instructions without reading them though. And then complain that things didn't work out.
I saw one installation where they had installed the bowl wouthout the adapter at all. It was a horrible mess, as the outlet from the bowl drops behind the floor drain. They don't line up without the adapter.

Last edited:

lindseybp

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The contractor left and I went and read the instructions....you guys are right....as long as you read the instructions it's easy.....just need to make sure he reads them.

lindseybp

Reaction score
Toto does NOT include a wax ring with their toilets, but one IS required to seal the Unifit adapter to the flange, just like if it was a toilet. Nor do they include a hose to the fill valve. THen, the toilet sits on the adapter and is sealed by the rubber gasket so it is watertight the whole way.

Typical plumber...doesn't want to read the instructions, which are quite clear. If the floor has tile, he may not have a proper drill bit to anchor the adapter to the floor. This is CRUCIAL, since otherwise, the toilet will not be stable. Depending on the tile, it may work with a carbide bit, but a diamond core bit works on any hard surface. Some porcelain floor tile can be nearly as hard as diamonds, and carbide just won't cut it - literally. A but may wear it away, but you may go through more than one. A good diamond bit will slice through it quickly, as long as you keep the bit wet and don't press too hard.

Just FYI this will be mounted on a hardwood oak floor and not tile. I'm assuming that's not an issue. thx.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only problem is with tile and that's because it is so hard drilling the holes is difficult without the problem drill bit. Even though Oak is a very hard wood, it still is wood and drills easily. I'd tell the contractor when he comes back that if he can't follow the installation instructions, you can go home and you will hire someone who can read and follow directions.

lindseybp

Reaction score
It doesn't matter that the rough in opening is bigger than the unifit opening does it? The guy seems to never have run into that before and he wants to make sure that's ok or something.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The output of the Unifit is 2-1/8" dropping into either a 3" or a 4" drain.
That's about as standard as you can get in this world.

lindseybp

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Terry. Another question. The unifit adapter is the standard 12" one. He is now telling me that our base board is too thick and to install the unifit adapter he would have to cut out part of the baseboard. Below the baseboard there is no flooring and so he is telling me he cannot install it. Even though the rough in is 12" if I get a 10" unifit adapter will that take care of the issue...and it would just make the toilet farther from the wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst474_side.jpg

This one was set at 11.5" from the wall with the standard 12" Unifit.
A 10" will move it away from the wall 2" more inches.
Normally with the 12" rough, you would have something like 1-1/4" of space for the floor mold.
Also, since you are dropping the 2" into a 3" drain, you can shift the adapter away from the wall about 5/8". We sometimes will use a repair flange to re-center the bolts farther out.

Can you post a picture of your closet flange with a tape measure lined up beside it?

lindseybp

Reaction score
Terry, unfortunately I'm at work now but will post a pic when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the help. Just trying to avoid my worst nightmare of a bad toilet install. This guy just does not seem to know what he's doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks