Aerator tank not automatically filling

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyd

Reaction score
Good day to all. We are experiencing problems with our aerator tank automatically filling. I can turn the knob on the solenoid to fill the tank from the aerator spray heads. We replaced the solenoid and the float switch, as well as cleaned the contacts on both pressure switches, and both pressure tank gauges are showing the correct pressure. The only symptom is not automatically filling, everything else works fine. We would appreciate any ideas on what to troubleshoot next. Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Cyd

Reach4

Reaction score
What we picture may not be what you picture. I am picturing an open cistern. A photo or two could help.

How about wire to the float switch or what supplies the power to that system being bad? Does power make it to the solenoid to turn on the solenoid? If not, where does the power stop?

This thing that you call a solenoid -- are you using that to open and close a valve? For filling a cistern, usually the float switch would control the power to the pump. There would not be a pressure switch involved in controlling the pump that fills the cistern. Maybe your cistern is an auxiliary storage, and not all water goes thru the cistern.

Last edited:

Cyd

Reaction score
IMG_0697.JPG Pressure tank, switch, and gauge for bringing water from well.

IMG_0691.JPG Power for the float switch is the black plug with the solenoid valve piggybacked into the top outlet. The other plugs are for the water softener system.

IMG_0693.JPG Solenoid. The black dial at the one o'clock position is what I turn to fill tank.

IMG_0694.JPG Cistern with dial on solenoid turned to manually fill tank.

Cyd

Reaction score
IMG_0698.JPG Pressure gauge for water supply coming into house.

IMG_0695.JPG Pressure switch that is wired to the pump in cistern.

I hope I have explained all these correctly as my knowledge and terminology is extremely limited. You asked if power was getting to the solenoid. I believe so, we rest the GFI to check. How would I test to see if it's a power issue to the solenoid? Thank you for your speedy response.

Cyd

Reach4

Reaction score
Power for the float switch is the black plug with the solenoid valve piggybacked into the top outlet.
Maybe try taking the black float switch plug+socket out, and plug the grey pump into power as a test. Maybe you tried that already.

For testing the float switch and power, try plugging a lamp or other device into the black float switch plug+socket , where the gray plug is currently plugged.
Pressure tank, switch, and gauge for bringing water from well.
If this is only for filling the cistern, then you probably could be rid of the pressure switch, and maybe even the pressure tank. Just let the float switch control the pump. You could still have a device that shuts down the pump if the well goes dry.

I see you have an automatic low pressure cutout switch, with a lever. An advantage to that is that it can shut you down if the well goes dry. That is not foolproof, but it is inexpensive if you have a pressure switch anyway.

Cyd

Reaction score
So, you're a genius! I did what you suggested and plugged my cell phone into the outlet. No power. Traced it to a second GFI in our garage that was tripped. I feel so silly and several dollars lighter after needlessly replacing stuff. Oh well, I learned how to do stuff I didn't know how to do before. Thank you for your help and next time I will call on this source BEFORE troubleshooting on my own. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Cyd

Cyd

Reaction score
Unfortunately that appears to have been a temporary fix. No water, the GFI was tripped again. No pressure at the gauge for the in ground pump side of the system. We replaced the pressure switch and still no luck. Any suggestions on what we should troubleshoot next, or how we can test if the in ground pump is bad? Thank you in advance for your time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Unfortunately that appears to have been a temporary fix. No water, the GFI was tripped again. No pressure at the gauge for the in ground pump side of the system.
Your main symptom is that the GFCI is tripping. So why? Either the GFCI is bad, or something that it provides power to has an electrical leak to ground. What you would want to do is to turn off the breaker to the system, and figure out what is leaking to ground. For this, you would want an ohmmeter and somebody with some electrical or electronic troubleshooting experience. Check around to see who is good at that stuff.

If you reset the GFI, do things start working again, or does the GFI trip again soon?

We replaced the pressure switch and still no luck. Any suggestions on what we should troubleshoot next, or how we can test if the in ground pump is bad? Thank you in advance for your time.

That pump is powered by the gray plug? You would see if there is electrical leakage first.

Cyd

Reaction score
It worked for 2 days after we reset it. Today we reset the GFI and while there is power going to the system, there is no pressure at the well. When I put my hand on the pipe coming out of the ground that is attached to the well pump I can feel a hum of electricity, but no water. The hubby used the ohmmeter to test that the well pressure switch is getting juice and it is.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the well pump send water to be used anywhere other than to fill the cistern?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks