Advice on Stiff Shower Handle

Users who are viewing this thread

KC_TX

Reaction score
This shower/tub handle (pics included) in my sister's apartment looks like it was originally a "Mixet" that someone in the past (close to 20 years ago) modified with a No-Mix valve. The sticker on the wall plate is a big clue, along with the overall look of it.

The handle is currently extremely stiff and difficult to move, especially pulling to turn on & pushing to turn off....you kind of have to turn & pull to get the water going. The temperature adjustment & water pressure seem fine once it's turned on and it doesn't seem to be leaking.

We were planning to replace with this "No-Mix Model 100" part (https://nomix.com/products/model-100) but thought we should make sure before ordering.

Since the water has to be turned off for 4 apartments when doing this, we figured it's better to replace it altogether vs. just the O rings, if that makes sense.

Do you think the "No-Mix Model 100" is the correct part to fix this problem or is there something else you think could be the issue?

Attachments

• ShowerHandle1.jpg
    ShowerHandle1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 122
  • ShowerHandle2.jpg
    ShowerHandle2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 113
  • ShowerHandle4.jpg
    ShowerHandle4.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 145
  • ShowerHandle5.jpg
    ShowerHandle5.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 136

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have any direct experience servicing Mixet valves, but they're likely similar to replacing a moen. Depending on how hard the water is they can get very stuck and that may be why its stiff. I would look up the instructions on how to remove a stubborn moen cartridge to be prepared on this one too.

I would be armed with a couple different mixet cartridges since 4 units will be affected. From reading the description of the NoMix cartridge I think its designed to repair a valve body that has corrosion issues.. So I would imagine it would fit into a valve that has no corrosion too. Just more sealing points.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/moen-shower-cartridge-removal-tool.1437/

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
No -Mix was not made by Mixit it is a replacement designed to overcome problems that can happen and can't be fixed with a Mixit cartridge. I am not sure if the No-Mix is still made.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've replaced Mixit cartridges and had mixed (no pun intended ) results on 30 40 year old . Actually haven't got them figured out totally the no mix might be a good fix! the seat is non replaceable from what I observed . I've also noticed that they make at least 2 different lengths of cartridge and generally I don't like working on them. I'll take an old Moen any day
On second look that is definitely not a standard Mixet a Mixet has a handle that turns and a lever for temp .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep. good luck If you have one of those no mix cartridge ill bet you'll get it done in short order

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks