Advice on rerouting drain for pedestal sink

Users who are viewing this thread

diyuser45

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Working on converting a bathroom which had a vanity to now use a pedestal sink.

The original drain came out at the edge of the wall and then they had a 90 angle fitting to attach to the drain p-trap under the vanity from the side of it. You can see on the left side of this image where they had used a hole saw to cut an egress for the drain pipe.

So just testing fit for an option to get the drain centered on the pedestal sink. Below are a couple of pictures of what I am working with. There is not much room due to ductwork.

Does this solution look ok? Of course, then the pipe would come out of the drywall at an angle and wouldn't look as nice.

The other thing I could think of was to come out straight from the drywall and then 90 degree and run against the wall to the center of the water lines, then the drain line would be totally visible outside of the drywall.

Any advice would be appreciated on the best way to do this.

drain1.jpg

drain2.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Beauty is in the beholder! I think it looks pretty good especialy with what you are up against .
however I dont know how its going to work out with a ptrap the adapter might need to be tighter to the wall . many times depending on layout of the bathroom the ptrap is barely visable other times it is, besides aestetics its gotta work and I just hope your set up will work that the trap wont stick out too far

diyuser45

Reaction score
On another forum it was suggested that the drain line coming from the wall not be centered on the water lines, but offset 1 1/2 - 2".

Can someone confirm if that is acurate? I looked in the sink installation guide and it didn't mention anything about offsetting the drain line.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It never hurts to follow a rough in guide. Totaly disagree on roughing in a pedestal lav with your trap offset . If youve selected the Lav pick it up ahead of time and mock it up see what works espoecialy if you are putting a fancy wall cover . Ive seen many pedestals that were roughed in wrong and had problems including opening up wall to fix

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
On another forum it was suggested that the drain line coming from the wall not be centered on the water lines, but offset 1 1/2 - 2".

Can someone confirm if that is acurate? I looked in the sink installation guide and it didn't mention anything about offsetting the drain line.
Huh? The only thing that matters is the drain. The water lines can be anywhere they have a flexible hose ran to the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks