Advice on replumbing of wet vent drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Hill

Reaction score
I'm doing some remodeling which requires removal of an interior wall that contains a 3" drain line. My plan is to reroute the drain down the adjacent perpendicular wall. Due to space constraints around the wall being removed, I'll have to replumb and move much of the plumbing over one floor joist.

I've come up with a solution that I think will work, but I'm just a DIYer with no major plumbing experience like this. I would appreciate feedback on my plan to see if it looks like it's to code (IPC) or if I've overlooked anything.

Here's the current layout:
upload_2021-8-9_12-34-14.png

And here's my proposed layout:
upload_2021-8-9_12-33-48.png

1. Move the tub drain so it connects further upstream on the 2" drain. This will reduce the number of holes I need to put through the floor joist.
  2. Continue the 2" drain though the joist, then elbow turn parallel to the joist.
  3. To avoid cutting in the middle 1/3 of the joist, bring the 2" shower trap arm further down and then through the joist.
  4. Join the 2" shower line to the drain and increase drain diameter to 3" to accommodate additional dfu load.
  5. Use a joist reinforcement plate to allow cutting of hole through floor joist for the toilet.
  6. Toilet connects, using a long sweep elbow, to the main inlet of a 3x3x3 wye with 1/8 bend.
  7. The 3" drain line carrying lavs, tub, and shower connects to the side inlet of the wye.
  8. Outlet of the wye connects to an elbow and down the wall.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The DWV looks good. A couple comments on the holes in joists:

3) Notches are prohibited in the central 1/3 of the span, but holes are OK there. For a uniform load, the bending moment is greatest at midspan, which means the stress in the top and bottom fibers of the wood joists is highest there, so no notching. But the shear is 0, so a small enough central hole has little impact.

5) If your joists are 2x10s, then NC has an amendment to the IRC for a prescriptive method for reinforcing a 2x10 for a 3-5/8" diameter hole, presumably for this application. See Figure FIGURE R502.8(2) along with all the footnotes.

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/irc-2015/chapter/5/floors#R502.8

Cheers, Wayne

Mike Hill

Reaction score
The DWV looks good. A couple comments on the holes in joists:

3) Notches are prohibited in the central 1/3 of the span, but holes are OK there. For a uniform load, the bending moment is greatest at midspan, which means the stress in the top and bottom fibers of the wood joists is highest there, so no notching. But the shear is 0, so a small enough central hole has little impact.

5) If your joists are 2x10s, then NC has an amendment to the IRC for a prescriptive method for reinforcing a 2x10 for a 3-5/8" diameter hole, presumably for this application. See Figure FIGURE R502.8(2) along with all the footnotes.

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/irc-2015/chapter/5/floors#R502.8

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the feedback.
These are 2x10 joists. I was concerned that the 1/2" skin on both sides of the joist may interfere with the fittings or putting things together because the space is so limited. I was going to mock this up anyway prior to doing any actual work, so that will give me an opportunity to test out the plywood skin before ordering the reinforcement plate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks