Advice on replacing main drain line

Replace cast corner and risk breaking secondary line?

• No leave it alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Efudge

Reaction score
Hi there

I've got some major drain line issues,I'll try to explain this all as brief as I can. I moved into a house last September, and I have had the main drain line clog 4 times since moving in. I have had some plumbers come look at it and it has a number of issues with it and it needs some work. The flow goes as follows:
4 inch PVC from previous renovation into 4 inch cast iron for a 90 degree turn made by using two back to back 45s. After turn a secondary 4in cast line join main line. This secondary line comes through the foundation wall, on other side it's built on top of a slab with flooring over it, in other words it's inaccessible except the 8 inches on this side of the foundation. Moving on, the main 4 in cast line is then REDUCED to a 3 inch ABS pipe which goes through the front foundation wall. Outside after 4 ft it comes to a T junction which has a 3 inch clean out, and also swoops down where it connects to 3 or 4 inch concrete pipes which immediately S with two 90 degree angles and then goes one to connect to 6 inch concrete line which runs to street.

Phew! That's a lot of info, but here are the major issues I've been told I have.
1. 4-3inch reduction.
2. Back to back 90's at the bottom of the T.
3. T junction itself isn't the best.
4. Cast iron corner is a little tight.

Of the four clogs, one has been at the reduction and three have been at the two concrete 90's (I was told the PVC and concrete are a little offset which causes the issue.)

Here are my solutions from 2 different plumbers:
Local larger plumbing company guy: Fix everything from beginning 4 inch ABS out, replacing tight corner, reduction, T junction and S corners. Make longer corner inside, figure out a way to connect secondary old cast line to new ABS corner. Hope it doesn't break in to process. Cost 4000 bucks.

Plumber 2, small business, one man show: leave the cast corner and secondary cast connection as is. Not worth risking breaking secondary line because then I'm tearing up floor to get to replace that line, and I haven't had a specific problem with the corner. Replace everything after the corner, including reduction, T, and S. Cost if I do the digging 1200-1500 bucks. If he digs, highest end estimate of 3500 but probably closer to 3000.

I'll attach pics, mainly I need help deciding if replacing the corner is a priority or not a major issue right now. I'm trying to be economical with a baby on the way, but also want this taken care of! Any input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6903.JPG
    IMG_6903.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_6904.JPG
    IMG_6904.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 199

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 3" should be replaced with 4"
The pipes that are working for you can be left for now. Though, there is hardly any grade at all to that.
You should have 1/4" per foot grade. That's one inch for ever four feet of horizontal.
What's the deal with picture 6905? What is happening there?

Efudge

Reaction score
thanks for your input, the slope isn't quite as bad as it looks in the photo. And the picture 6905 is a sump pump line that pumps from under my foundation. I know it's illegal in most places to hook it to a sanitary line, it was the previous homeowners handywork. And I can't find anything about it in my local codes, I live in a small town outside of Seattle, not the city limits where I know it's illegal. Plus neither of the local plumbers I've had have said anything about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks