Advice on replacement Toliets

Users who are viewing this thread

Briant73

Reaction score
Currently have two Kohler Wellworth round bowl toliets that worry me to say the least. They came with my house when I bought it a couple years ago weren't in the best of shape when I checked them out but seemed to work ok but that has changed.
Toliet 1 has plugged up multiple times and has overflowed a few times, toliet 2 has never plugged up but I believe may have a leak especially after I used one of those blue toliet bowl tablets and noticed that where the bowl meets the floor I could see slight blue line around it. Though these toliets are probably less than 12 years old I am thinking I might rather replace them than repair since they don't seem to be in the best shape, reading on the internet say's this model was prone to plug ups and I rather have piece of mind.

I see Toto toliets recomended but their website has no mention of a dealer/installer anywhere close to me, so if I can't find Toto what brand/model would you recommend? I don't need anything super fancy, just dependable and works well.

I did call a local plumber to see what he recommends.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO toilets are sold by plumbers and plumbing suppliers, not the big box stores.
http://www.totousa.com/Default.aspx?tabid=185

Of course other options are Kohler and American Standard, as well as other brands too. Some plumbers like the Gerber Ultraflush.
Many of the newer toilets will be an improvement over what you have now.
Sometimes over time, a toilet "collects" junk in the trapway, and that can create a problem with flushing. A leak at the floor can be as simple as wax seal replacement.

Briant73

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I did go to Toto and nothing showed up in their where to buy search but I did email them just in case. As to the trapway and seal, I thought about it but I'd like a pro to check things out just to make sure everything is ok and since I'll have a pro here already, why not just replace them with something newer and hopefully better.

Which models from Toto, Kohler and AS would you recommend for someone not needing a designer toliet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put two Toto Drakes in my mother's house...a good quality, basic toilet with a little style. Since then, the Drake II has come out, and I think it flushes as well, and has better bowl wash (not that the Drake is bad). Local dealers (Toto doesn't list all of the local dealers on their website - call the nearest on to see if they can point you to someone closer) usually are less expensive than Toto's list price on the website.

Briant73

Reaction score
I just got a response from Toto after inquiring if there are any dealers in the area, their response was to use the dealer locator which I already did and found nothing within an hour and half of my location. Like I said I got a call to a local plumber see what he recommends and installs.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not listed on the TOTO site either, even though I'm the biggest seller of TOTO in the Seattle area.
I am in the local yellow pages under plumbing fixtures retail. Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, Snohomish, Bothell, Redmond, Issaquah.

TOTO Toilets in the Seattle area

Last edited:

Briant73

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the local plumber, he likes installing the AS Cadet (not the 3) and the Gerber Viper, he seemed more inclined to go with the Viper. Going to try finding a Toto dealer but even the plumber I talked to said he doesn't have a source locally for them, but he has installed them for a company that has them shipped in to the locations.

Briant73

Reaction score
Latest update, called Toto, they advised me to call their area sales rep but he was on Vacation so they told me to call the wholesaler for the region and they do have a local plumbing outfit which when I opened up the yellow pages even listed Toto in their ad, not sure how I missed it the first time. Going to try to stop out there tomorrow to check out models/color and pricing but if anyone has any recommendations of particular Toto models? Nothing fancy for a a 12 rough in.

So far Toto and Gerber Viper/Avalanche are on my list.

Briant73

Reaction score
Went to the local plumber and they had the Carouso(sp?), Dalton and Drake. The Carouso was the cheapest but they pushed the Dalton more saying you get more for your money. Their cost out the door for the Dalton was about 163.00 less than the Drake. They said the Dalton is being phased out but parts should be easy to find. I left the model numbers at home for both but will add them later. I know the Dalton was the model that sits higher.

The cost for the Dalton installed was about on par with the Gerber Viper. Now my questions are:
1) Is the Drake that much better than the Dalton?
2) Is the Dalton that much better than the Viper or would the Viper be a better model?
3) Should I look into getting the Avalanche over the Viper?

I am planning on replacing two toliets so should I look into getting a Drake/Avalnahce model for the main bathroom and then a Dalton/Viper for the master bedroom bathroom to save on cost?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer the Toto over the Gerber,
The Drake is better then the Dalton, however the Dalton is priced very well for a tall bowl.
I had the Dalton installed for a while, it worked much better then the Kohler Cimarron in my home.

Briant73

Reaction score
I prefer the Toto over the Gerber,
The Drake is better then the Dalton, however the Dalton is priced very well for a tall bowl.
I had the Dalton installed for a while, it worked much better then the Kohler Cimarron in my home.
Thanks for the response. I am debating between costs and needs, both brands sound like they are better than what I have and what is at the big box stores.

Briant73

Reaction score
Just noticed something, on the models I am looking at the warranty on the Toto site say's 1 year. I was wondering if this is correct since I noticed most other brands in the price range are offering 5-10 year and figured Toto would be similar.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been selling TOTO for years and years.
I've had less then 1% ever come back.

The warranty is the least problem you will have.

The American Standard Champion had a ten year warranty, and started failing within the first two years.
They are now converting over the parts inside the tank, which means for many people calling a plumber out to rebuild the tanks. They don't cover labor, that's for the homeowner to pay. We're not talking less then 1% either, we're talking lots of them.

Briant73

Reaction score
I was more surprised Toto doesn't offer the longer warranty and though maybe it had changed. Thanks for confirming. Yes long warranty doesn't always mean best quality and can be more a marketing gimmik.

After all my search I am thinking 1 elongated ADA height Drake or Avalance and then another round one. I take it round are always shorter height correct? I need to save space in the one area.

So for the Drake I am looking at a cst743s and a CST744sl (or cst744s if I decide the standard is good)? Also is CEFIONTECT an option I should think about?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CEFIONTECT, when available, is a nice addition. You can read about the properties of it on their website. Some of the other manufacturers have similar, optional glazes. It makes it so smooth, it's hard for anything to stick to it, especially under the waterline. Mine stay cleaner, longer than the older ones they replaced, so I'm happy with it.

rhillaker

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Vorten Vienna Model 3113-3436 have had no problems. Have had it for one year and with the comfort of it being higher than a standard toilet it is real good for a older person. Purchased it through Contra Costa County water conservation program pay $60.00 more to upgrade to the Vorton Vienna. From what I have seen and read of the other low flow toilets this one is a dream. No Plugging, side are clean etc. etc. etc. Keep wondering why there has been no tests conducted on the Vortons as they are one of the better low flow toilets in my opinion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had a Vortens pressure assist in my master bathroom.
Compared to a gravity toilet, it was noiser and didn't clean the bowl as well.

The model you list, is the dual flush from WDI in China.
I quit selling those tanks, as 40% of the tanks came back in the first six months and I no longer sell them.

Here is a link about the WDI Ecoflush dual flush tank.

WDI Technology EcoFlush made in China

When the dual flush unit fails, you can replace it with a Flushmate 1.1 GPF pressure tank.
The Flushmate brand has been around for about twenty years and is made in Detroit Michigan.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "defective" toilet is going to cause problems within a couple of days, not years. And since toilets do not "wear out" if you get through the first week or so, there is seldom any reason to consider its warranty period.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Politics: collect our tax dollars and then send them to china to buy [subsidise] junk valves to "save" water. All of these government programs need buy American clauses to some percentage in order to save jobs with water, or we will all be bathing in the creek soon.

Terry - That would mean your Toto plant on the east coast could afford to build another wing or add a western plant!.... Lobby!.

Last edited:

Briant73

Reaction score
So if I go with the Toto are there any special instructions on usages/cleaning/maintenance?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks