Advice on fixing sulfur smell in double sink

Users who are viewing this thread

buyerpro

Reaction score
There used to be a single sink here, we changed it out to this double sink. There is a sulfur smell when we use the left hand sink & also a gurgling sound when we flush the toilet. This is in an upstairs bungalow. No water backup problems though.
What do we need to do to correct this here? Thanks so much for your advice.

20210123_201248.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is there water in the trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the bathroom.
If the sink drain is gurgling when a toilet flushes, it may not be properly vented to prevent the trap siphoning.
If that is the case, adding an AAV may help. I would also get rid of the corrugated piping over to second lav. The more pipe beyond the trap, which is meant to contain smells, the more likely that you will be getting smells from the gunk residing in all of those folds in the piping.

buyerpro

Reaction score
Hi Terry, I was hoping you'd be my response. ;). I'm not sure if there's water in the trap or not. Should we also put a p- trap in the right hand sink (you'll see it doesnt have one)? I like your observation that we should replace the corrugated with a solid pipe. Where in this set up should the AAV be? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210121_175205.jpg
    20210121_175205.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210121_175220.jpg
    20210121_175220.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 150

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could ad an aav where pipe comes through wall to p trap. your second sink add on might work ok but do what terry said get rid of the acordian and build it with fall all the way to the main sink. the gurgling sound is not normal sighns of a vent problem or drainage issue. has it ever worked properly?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would add 1 tablespoons of liquid chlorine bleach into the right bowl, and don't use that bowl for a day or two. If the "sulfur" smell stops, what you have been smelling may just be the stuff growing in the low spot of that flex piping.

For the AAV, I wonder if there is enough space for this:

As that workaround, consider Rectorseal Magic Trap.
https://rectorseal.com/product/magic-trap/

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal-97400-Micro-Size-Magic-Vent-AAV is the AAV which screws onto this:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal-97402-Magic-Trap-Tubular-Fitting-w-Tee

97402-3.jpg

buyerpro

Reaction score
you could ad an aav where pipe comes through wall to p trap. your second sink add on might work ok but do what terry said get rid of the acordian and build it with fall all the way to the main sink. the gurgling sound is not normal sighns of a vent problem or drainage issue. has it ever worked properly?

Thanks, Jeff. This is a rental, so I'm not aware if it gurgled when it was just the single (main) sink, which was on the left. That's where you hear the gurgle when flushing toilet, interestingly. Should we add a p-trap to the right (new) side, or not necessary?
Thanks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff. This is a rental, so I'm not aware if it gurgled when it was just the single (main) sink, which was on the left. That's where you hear the gurgle when flushing toilet, interestingly. Should we add a p-trap to the right (new) side, or not necessary?
Thanks.
the sink on left is losing its trap seal . I don't think sink on right is going to fix the gurgling at all .
the gurgling is signs of stoppages , blocked vents, or substandard installation of rough plumbing inside walls or floor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks