Advice on equipment to buy for DIY well pump installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Kwill808

Reaction score
I was looking for advice on the equipment to buy to setup my well. The well is 160' deep with 67' of casing where the water level comes up to 90' and the flow is 5-6gpm. The home is a 4 bd 2.5 bath off grid home in central TN that will be solar powered. Any help is appreciated. Links to stores from which to purchase recommended equipment would be much appreciated.

So far my research has me looking at a Grundfos well pump (not sure what specific model for my situation though) and a Amtrol Well-X-Trol WX-203 pressure tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are charging batteries and delivering 240 or 120 VAC to the pump, I am thinking 5SQ05-180 or 5SQ07-230 (240 volt only) with a 3 inch flow inducer.

If you want to power the pump directly from the solar cells, you would be looking at the expensive SQFlex pumps.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think it is deep enough for a 5 GPM series pump. I would use either the 7S05-11 or the 10S07-12. I like Grundfos pumps. But a 10 GPM, 3/4HP, 3 wire with control box from a box store would work well and be much less expensive. A WX230 only holds 8 gallons of water. With solar I would either use an extra battery so a big tank is not needed and use a PK1A instead (4.5 gallon tank), or use an 86 gallon tank (WX320) that will hold about 20 gallons of water.

Kwill808

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

So here's some links to what I have in my shopping cart thus far. Please let me know if I'm going astray:

Would be getting 200' of pipe and 150' for wire. If anyone knows where there might be cheaper prices, I'm all ears.

Reach4

Reaction score
One up top. Could use another at the bottom, but is is not important that the bottom one be extra -long. Extra-long accepts 3 stainless stainless steel worm gear clamps. Put the worm gears not next to each other.

If the clamp has a carbon steel screw, cover well with tape to reduce rusting

Heat the end of the pipe in boiling water to make it soft enough to fit on the barbed "insert" fitting.

Scotch 33+ tape for the wire to the pipe. Leave some slack to allow for pipe stretching a bit.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Although not technically rated for submersible pumps, I much prefer double jacketed wire like this.

And #14 is plenty large enough for the 3/4HP as you don't want to oversize wire for a submersible.

This will have everything you need for up top to control the pump.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The 3" SQ pumps are much more expensive. And I don't like the 5 second wait for the pump to start unless you have such a weak solar system that it can't start a regular 4" pump with a start capacitor.
The soft start is at 100% in 3 seconds...its moving water at around half that depending on conditions and the pump curve.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The soft start is at 100% in 3 seconds...its moving water at around half that depending on conditions and the pump curve.
Good to know. I wonder if that has changed because they have always told me 5 seconds? Anyway, it still makes it necessary to put slightly less air charge in the tank to give the pump time to get up to speed. This is even more important with a small tank. The less air charge in the tank the less draw down it will deliver. But after seeing the price of the SQ is very similar to the SP I am much more happy with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks