Advice on aged Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Dal Norris

Reaction score
Hello Folks --
Just moved into an area with very hard water and approx. 2K sq fit house we purchased has a roughly 16 year old Kenmore Water Softener that has not been running for at least a year (house was uninhabited). I know nothing about water softeners and their typical life expectancy. Is it worth it to spend money on inspection / repair / etc to bring it back to life (there is an obvious leak on the input line but beyond that no idea of what could b ein Pandora's box)f? Or better off to put the money toward a new (and likely more reliable) system. All expert opinions appreciated, though I know that there are a huge # of variables (volume, hardness of water, etc)

Reach4

Reaction score
1. If you are on a well, get a lab water test. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ . Figure 2 weeks to get results including two trips in the mail (kit plus return sample). A free test can be very expensive.;) If this is city water, you may be able to get hardness info from the water seller. You want the high number -- not the average.

2. It is probably going to make sense to get a new softener. With your number of people, hardness, iron, manganese, pH, and anything else that stands out, we can probably suggest a good size.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you are on a municipal supply, post your zip code and I can usually find the water report. If you are on a well, Kar Labs or NTL LABS Well test are needed.
Do not waste time and money trying to fix your old unit.

Dal Norris

Reaction score
Thanks all -- couple of experienced pieces of input was all I needed to validate my gut. Have several local reputable folks and will reach out about a new unit!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks