Advice needed on well test results

Users who are viewing this thread

Jordgubbe

Reaction score
Hi all-

Our current setup is a well with salt-based softener and a 10" carbon block post filter. We've been in our house for five years and just had a full water retest for the first time since the one that was done as part of closing.

Other than changing the carbon filter quarterly, adding salt (usually 2:1 yellow bag pellets to iron out pellets) when I notice the brine tank is low, and cleaning/sanitizing the brine tank once a year, we've not touched the system.

The timer-based valve (no markings apart from a sticker that says model:2510 and has what looks to be a pentair logo) is set to regenerate 3 of 12 days. No idea what the age of the system nor capacity of the resin bed is. I tried to find out, but the guy who installed it has stopped returning phone calls.

With the current system, we have occasional sulfur smell, more frequent metallic taste, some rust staining on appliances and fixtures, and lots of scale on fixtures and glassware, etc.

Our test results are as follows:
Gross Alpha: 10.6 pCi/L
Radon: 653 pCi/L
Iron: 0.471 mg/l
Manganese: 0.1 mg/l
Hardness: 521 mg/l
No lead, copper, VOC, nitrates, coliforms
Arsenic under action limit (0.001 mg/l)

Both Gross Alpha and radon are under action limits, but still elevated enough that we probably want to do something. Neither were part of the standard real estate test when we bought the house, so it's new information. We did install a subslab radon system when we moved in, so not a shock.

The lab did advise a follow-up uranium test to figure out how to best remediate the gross alpha.

In the meantime, and based on the above, what sort of a system would best deal with our constellation of factors?

Things that I have in mind:
Sulphur smell and metallic taste are important aesthetic concerns. I have followed up with the lab because I expected a hydrogen sulfide test, but didn't see it in the results.

From poking around online, something like an air-injection tank plus a katalox light backwash filter seems like it might solve most of our non-hardness issues

Particularly if we need another backwashing filter, I'm very interested in a TAC conditioner as reducing scale buildup in appliances and fixtures is a bigger concern than the aesthetic component of hardness. The current softener drains to a French drain on the far end of the basement from the sump. It has on occasion overwhelmed the French drain and spilled over onto the floor, although not severely. I'm concerned that two concurrent backwashes would make a big mess, on top of just wasting a lot of water. Is this a viable solution or just snake oil?

Thanks for the help!

Jordgubbe

Reaction score
Should maybe add that there are six of us in the house, 2.5 bathrooms, 3/4 inch plumbing, tankless water heater.

Don't know what the specs of the well are, but it's got a 1/2hp / 8A pump and a 20 gallon pressure tank

Last edited:

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks