Advice needed - Bathroom Drain/Vent adding vertical santee

Users who are viewing this thread

Billyz

Reaction score
So I've begun the process of remodeling the bathroom in my newer-ish (2003 built) house. Were converting a single vanity sink to a dual vanity. My situation is pretty much exactly as described here. I decided to do it the right way and run separate drains for both sinks. This meant I needed to add a 3rd santee to my 3in vertical vent / drain pipe. After cutting the pipe I realized that I had just about zero left/right and up/down play, meaning that I wan't going to be able to slip the santee into place.

My solution was to pickup 2 of these metal wrapped rubber connectors with hose clamps (they have like 10 names, "mission", no-hub maybe, I dunno). See the pictures below. The actual couplers are fernco proflex
p2.jpg p1.jpg
I have 3 basic questions.

1. Will this pass code / inspection (permits are pulled I absolutely 100% have to pass inspection). State is MN (of course we have our own plumbing code, so I understand this is a tough question).

2. Would you tighten this up, put the sheet rock on the wall and not worry about this connection for the next 20+ years?

3. Is there a "better" way to do this. Like I said I have 0 up/down play, and maybe .5-1 inch of left/right play.

(P.S. If the couplers look mis-aligned it is because they are currently loose and NOT tight, they align up just fine.)

Billyz

Reaction score
Just a quick update for anyone viewing this in the future.

I called my city, talked to a plumbing inspector. He said that according to MN code 1 of these mission couplers is allowed, 2 is frowned upon. He would pass me if there was no other way, but they generally didn't like them. Further, they really didn't like them being on the drain part (not just the vent part).

I went back to the drawing board last night, and re-did it with 2x regular pvc couplers and a slip pvc coupler. I cut about 1/2 inch out of the 3in vertical stack above the 2nd santee as well as the the 1.5 inch horizontal pipe on the 2nd santee .This gave me plenty of play (since the 2nd santee was 100% removable now). I slid the slip coupler on there and then proceeded to use 2 regular couplers where my 2 rubber ones were.

Gluing the slip coupler in was actually not bad at all. After priming all surfaces , I could still slide it up and down. I moved it all the way up and quickly slathered glue on both ends of the pipe. Slid it down to the middle of my marks and gave it a half turn while sliding. Then I wiped some more glue around the outer edges. All in all it worked out just fine. Inspector advised me to have a wooden 2x4 stub and a hammer ready, incase I need to move it around , but that was un-necessary.

Thanks for all the advice, this forum has been super helpful for me!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks