Advice for wiring 2 baseboard heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am about to wire in two new electric baseboard heaters in the family room. They are 240v, 6.25amp 1500w each. I can wire them in parallel, per the instruction manual. I am trying to decide if I should run each heater on separate 10amp breakers with 12awg wire or together on a 20amp breaker with 10awg wire. Having two breakers is more work, but adds security if one unit goes bad. The thermostat is wireless, so I dont need to worry about wiring it inline.

Thoughts?

Dan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, a 20A circuit does not need more than 12g wire. Now, if the run length is quite long, you could make it larger gauge, but it's not required. I think I'd just run them in parallel unless you want to be able to turn one off independently. I guess it would somewhat depend on the thermostat used and whether they have an individual shut off. For the current you are describing, even when applying the 80% rule, you're still well within the limits of the two on one circuit UNLESS they instructions differ, then they override the general rule.

DanM

Reaction score
FWIW, a 20A circuit does not need more than 12g wire. Now, if the run length is quite long, you could make it larger gauge, but it's not required. I think I'd just run them in parallel unless you want to be able to turn one off independently. I guess it would somewhat depend on the thermostat used and whether they have an individual shut off. For the current you are describing, even when applying the 80% rule, you're still well within the limits of the two on one circuit UNLESS they instructions differ, then they override the general rule.

Thanks for the advice. I checked my numbers on http://wiresizecalculator.net. The room is on the other side of the house, about 60ft away. I calculated for 70ft to be safe and came up with a 10awg wire.

The baseboards I purchased are made by Dimplex and have digital temperature settings for each unit and are compatible with their wireless programmable thermostat. I chose this so I can turn one off when I don't need that much heat.

DanM

Reaction score
I try to correct my mistakes....

I verified the numbers again before buying a 100ft roll of wire. I forgot to calculate for voltage loss. Yes, at 0 voltage loss, I should use 10awg. 12awg is just fine with a 2% voltage loss with a 70 ft run. The heaters arrive tomorrow and will be set up probably on Friday.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, at 0 voltage loss, I should use 10awg. 12awg is just fine with a 2% voltage loss with a 70 ft run.
If the resistance heating wiring is inside the heated space, the loss is not really a loss anyway. It is heat that adds to the heating task.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks