Advice for venting toilet and tub together

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great previous help. Next question:

Can the tub vent through the 3" toilet waste line and use toilet vent?
IMG_1362.jpg

My guess is no, so could this work below?
I could come off the tub drain with a 2" santee on it's back, in the floor joist, then about 16" horizontal, then up.

AND, this would be wet vent for toilet?

IMG_1363.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts!

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
I'm an owner/ builder, not a plumber. Appreciate all your help!
Ok, better than my drawings.... Everything is just tacked up, without cutting any joist holes.

Below, toilet coming down, 2 90s then 1 90 down through top plates
Shower drain enters vertical 3" with a combo. Before combo, shower drain enters into a 2" Santee,
with 2" vent out top, and about 16" horizontal than up.
So toilet would wet vent through combo and out with tub vent?
(second photo from opposite direction)

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
Yes, Thanks James, that could work for me.

1. 3X2" Santee on it's back to vent the toilet OK?

2. 1/2" vent for tub, tie into 2" toilet vent in ceiling for one roof penetration OK?

3. What is best fitting for 2" shower drain to toilet 90 going down wall in 3" pipe?

Can I use this? black-abs-fittings-c58079hd33112-64_1000.jpg

I could use this and a 2" medium 90 down into the top if I have space?black-nibco-abs-fittings-c5861lhhd332-64_1000.jpg

Thank you,
Matt

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, Thanks James, that could work for me.

1. 3X2" Santee on it's back to vent the toilet OK?

2. 1/2" vent for tub, tie into 2" toilet vent in ceiling for one roof penetration OK?

3. What is best fitting for 2" shower drain to toilet 90 going down wall in 3" pipe?

Can I use this? View attachment 62928

I could use this and a 2" medium 90 down into the top if I have space?View attachment 62929

Thank you,
Matt

question 1. use a 3"x2" combination wye 1/8 bend on its back.
question 2. Yes.

question 3. your photos and sketch don't match up so I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
if you have enough toilet drain length you could do what revised on the sketch with a combo on its side.

Attachments

• IMG_1362b.jpg
    IMG_1362b.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 145
  • fgghf.jpg
    fgghf.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 159

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
You are right that my photos were slightly different than drawing...

This is how I understand your suggestions:

2" drain, wye rolled 45, then up into wall.
IMG_1370.jpg

other side, 2" drain, 3"x 2" combo to connect with horizontal 3" from toilet, then down.
(toilet vented upstream as described previously)
IMG_1371.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see your dilemma. The side inlet quarter bend is approved for drainage in the IPC but I don't know if it is in your code, If you could find out that would cure the 45 degree offset in the stack. If you can't use it then I would put the 45 degree offset on the stack near the floor. it just makes for a cleaner installation.

Last edited:

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
I see your dilemma. The side inlet quarter bend is approved for drainage in the IPC but I don't know if it is in your code, If you could find out that would cure the 45 degree offset in the stack. If you can't use it then I would put the 45 degree offset on the stack near the floor. it just makes for a cleaner installation.
310.0 Prohibited Fittings and Practices

310.1 Fittings

No double hub fitting, single or double tee branch, single or double tapped tee branch, side inlet quarter bend, running thread, band, or saddle shall be used as a drainage fitting, except that a double hub sanitary tapped tee shall be permitted to be used on a vertical line as a fixture connection.

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score

Looks like I'm putting offset near the floor...

Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks