Advice for trimming down pipe to fit flange and having toilet flush with floor

Users who are viewing this thread

jrouttusa

Reaction score
What is the best way to trim the top off the pipe coming up through the floor?

I've rebuilt the utility room floor and it is about 1/2" lower than before. Toilet ring sits up too high toilet sits about 3/8" above the floor. I'd like to trim the pipe to below floor level without having to remove the entire floor.

thanks in advance for advice.
20211020_213749.jpg
JR

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what you have there.

EDITED because I misread the original post.

One other thing I am wondering is if you have the remnants of a waxless or other seal atop the actual closet flange. If that is the case, you should be able to pick that off with fingers, putty knife, etc.

Last edited:

jrouttusa

Reaction score
I am not sure what you have there.

But 3/8 higher than the floor should not be a problem if you use wax. What I don't see is what is going to hold the closet bolts down. A repair ring is one way to give that. If you use wax, read up on using shims.

Another thing to consider is the Danco Hydro Seat. It is like repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under.

One other thing I am wondering is if you have the remnants of a waxless or other seal atop the actual closet flange. If that is the case, you should be able to pick that off with fingers, putty knife, etc.

jrouttusa

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply- cat usually gets fed in that room and family is upset with only 2 of 3 toilets available :(

The top piece is like a flange, but is stuck to the pipe. Closet bolts should not be a problem as there is a box screwed into the joist and cross member that is sized for either a metal ring or other flange.

I'm thinking of just cutting the top 1/2 to 3/4 " off, allowing a flange with extension to fit down in the pipe. The only issue is that it will be a tight fit to get a saw on it - Any thoughts?

JR

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I misread your original post. I had thought you were saying that the closet flange sat 3/8 inch above the floor. I missed that it is the toilet that sits 3/8 inch above the floor.

I don't see slots. Are you sure there is not a left-over from the previous installation that you could not pick off?

I'm thinking of just cutting the top 1/2 to 3/4 " off, allowing a flange with extension to fit down in the pipe. The only issue is that it will be a tight fit to get a saw on it - Any thoughts?
It looks like you have a bend not far down. If that is the case, your plan may have a problem.

How far down is the vertical section down the hole?

How about a photo from the side more, with a ruler sitting atop the old flange.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks