Advice for rebuilding a shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Florida Gator

Reaction score
I have a shower pan that is 4' x 3' with a center drain that I am replacing. Above the liner was mortar and tile. Below the liner was a couple inches of sand above the recessed concrete slab. Does anyone have any advice of how I should go about rebuilding this. Should I keep the sand? Should I remove the sand and pre-pitch with mortar, then put the new liner, then another bed of mortar? Also, what is good mortar to use?
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While sand can work, it's safer to do the preslope with a mortar bed...once installed, prior to any other work, it won't move around if you happen to kneel or support yourself with a hand while attaching the liner and the setting bed. The bottom of that recess is concrete, I hope!

This is typically done with a mix of sand:cement (called deck mud) in the ratio of 4-5:1...mixed just wet enough to hold together when you squeeze a handful (sort of like a snowball, but maybe not familiar if you've always lived in S FL!). It should hold together, but not drip, when you've got it right when squeezing a handful. It packs like wet beach sand.

WIth a recessed area, you have a few options...you could make it an curbless shower more easily, if that's of any interest.

I suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com for help in building your shower. So FL with the common high humidity levels is a GREAT candidate for using some more modern materials to waterproof things. I'd seriously consider using a surface applied waterproofing for the whole shower which means that there is much less that can absorb moisture, and it dries out much faster. A couple of products that can do that are Schluter's Kerdi, and Laticrete's Hydroban sheet membranes. When you use one of those, you need to use a drain specific to them, but if you're not planning on replacing yours (it might be a good idea), Schluter does make a conversion drain so you can leave the bottom part in place. When using one of those membranes, you only need the preslope (a single layer), and then the membrane goes on top of it, then you tile it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks