Advice for decorate trap not aligning with waste line

Users who are viewing this thread

J Wa

Reaction score
Hello,
Hoping some pros or experienced folk can help me with a problem...

My master bath has 2 vanity sinks on a floating countertop with drawers. The space beneath the drawers/countertop is open and empty... Meaning, there are 2 decorative white P-Traps visible under the vanity. The contractor's plumber didn't center the waste lines with the sink drains. (ugh) I think he became so obsessed with making sure the tailpiece extender was the right length that he overlooked this much larger issue, or he just isn't a very good plumber. So, there's a slight angle to the side as the P-Traps reach back to the waste line coming out of the wall. It's a mess...

Now, I'm about to redo the sinks that were installed for various reasons, and I'd like to redo the P-Trap and have a white bottle trap put in instead. Unfortunately, I can't easily relocate the waste lines an inch over, because they extend through tile on the back wall. It would be very costly and a MAJOR headache to even attempt it.

What would you recommend? The only idea I had was if I maybe I could hide an angled piece between somewhere inside the cabinet between the drain and the new bottle trap. Or do I just have to live with it...?

J Wa

Reaction score
Photos...
1 - left sink, below cabinet
2 - left sink, showing inside cabinet and below
3 - right sink, below cabinet

IMG_9307.jpeg IMG_9308.jpeg IMG_9309.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Functionally, what you have should work fine. Aesthetically, it's not bad, either.

J Wa

Reaction score
Functionally, what you have should work fine. Aesthetically, it's not bad, either.

My photos are more forgiving than it looks in person. In person, you notice that they are angled/crooked when you walk inside. I'd like to try and clean it up if possible

Reach4

Reaction score
Now, I'm about to redo the sinks that were installed for various reasons, and I'd like to redo the P-Trap and have a white bottle trap put in instead. Unfortunately, I can't easily relocate the waste lines an inch over, because they extend through tile on the back wall. It would be very costly and a MAJOR headache to even attempt it.
So how about having the custom counter cut top put the sinks to align with the existing drains?
The only idea I had was if I maybe I could hide an angled piece between somewhere inside the cabinet between the drain and the new bottle trap.
You want a tailpiece to have a small offset?
Could you hide this? Not the kind of thing you expect above a bottle trap.
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c3526945-c3_100.jpg

or this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plumb-Craft-Waxman-7681000N-1-1-4-White-Flexible-Tailpiece/21799414

J Wa

Reaction score
So how about having the custom counter cut top put the sinks to align with the existing drains?

You want a tailpiece to have a small offset?
Could you hide this? Not the kind of thing you expect above a bottle trap.
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c3526945-c3_100.jpg

or this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plumb-Craft-Waxman-7681000N-1-1-4-White-Flexible-Tailpiece/21799414

These are good ideas. Unfortunately shifting the sink drain won't be possible because the new sinks are being fabricated from the same tile as the countertop (integrated). The size of the opening is pretty restrictive between the drawers. Also, the bed of the sink is going to be 4 triangular pieces of tile, so if the drain was off-centered it would look terrible. I know, it's a lot of factors.

I agree. With a bottle trap or even a visible p-trap like I have the whole point is for it to "be seen" and visible. I couldn't hide it right above the bottle trap, and I'm not sure if there's enough space within the cabinet (picture 2)

Reach4

Reaction score

J Wa

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
You could experiment with roughing up the white polypropylene to get a matte finish.

You could maybe find some acceptable tape with the finish you want. That tape would need to be 3.927 inches wide to go all of the way around, but a gap in the back would be fine.

It may be that Plasti-dip spray would look ok. https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
People sometimes spray that over car emblems. It can be picked up. No paint is going to adhere well to polypropylene, but Plasti-dip makes like a thin rubber coating. It can be picked off, but people are not picking on your tailpiece. I am not a pro.

Another possibility is to use a chrome tailpiece extension to a chrome bottle trap. But that may not have enough space.

Also, try this Google search: white pipe covers 1-1/4

How about getting somebody to make a macrame or crochet pipe cover.

Some copy paper is matte, and those are available in various brightnesses.

Last edited:

J Wa

Reaction score
You could experiment with roughing up the white polypropylene to get a matte finish.

You could maybe find some acceptable tape with the finish you want. That tape would need to be 3.927 inches wide to go all of the way around, but a gap in the back would be fine.

It may be that Plasti-dip spray would look ok. https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
People sometimes spray that over car emblems. It can be picked up. No paint is going to adhere well to polypropylene, but Plasti-dip makes like a thin rubber coating. It can be picked off, but people are not picking on your tailpiece. I am not a pro.

Another possibility is to use a chrome tailpiece extension to a chrome bottle trap. But that may not have enough space.

Also, try this Google search: white pipe covers 1-1/4

How about getting somebody to make a macrame or crochet pipe cover.

Macrame! There you go! hahahaha

i'm fine with paying the extra dollars for a nice-looking properly finished piece since it's part of the design. But do wonder if there's an angle or flexible piece that could be hidden within the cabinet and connect to an extension. I'm going to have to get some extension pieces like what's already there to go from the bottle trap to the wall. It's a longer reach than traditional ones.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
dont want to point finger but it could be anybodys fault. If I dont have all the info at rough in basicaly the day I start a remodel than this can happen. this isnt ordinary work.

J Wa

Reaction score
dont want to point finger but it could be anybodys fault. If I dont have all the info at rough in basicaly the day I start a remodel than this can happen. this isnt ordinary work.

I hear you.
In this case, the design of this room never changed from the original architect drawings. It was a rare moment. Also, this isn't the only plumbing related issue that came up... unfortunately.

J Wa

Reaction score
Thanks. And if anyone has other ideas on how I could adjust this in the most inconspicuous way possible, whether it's at the tailpiece or a small piece right before the waste line, I'd be most appreciative.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks