Advice fixing Fleck 5600 SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
It is common for the 5600SXT to have a 0.5 gpm BLFC. Now your current settings seem to use a lot more salt than I would expect for 1.25 cubic ft of resin. Here is what I would think...

Also, I just checked the water level in the brine tank and there is 21 1/2 inches of water with the last settings I used (relisted below) Is that part of the problem? Could it be a clogged injector or something like that?
Could be. Force a regeneration, and watch during the brine draw how long it takes for all of the brine to be drawn out, and in fact, make sure it is drawn out. The draw should be to about the middle of the air check valve. If you cannot see well enough, maybe use a yardstick as a dipstick down the brine well.

This is what I would use if things are working OK:

System info (not programmed)

salt lb/cuft = 8.4 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.25 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 22 ; including any compensation
People = 2 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 120 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 11.36 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 30.9 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 22 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 7 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = usually t0.7 ; flow meter, make note of what is there
FM = P0.7 ; usually t0.7 but Paula has a paddlewheel;

When measuring your water hardness/softeness, test the hard water. The water heater hold a lot of water, so the hot can be slow to change.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
It is common for the 5600SXT to have a 0.5 gpm BLFC.
Although common, Paula has still not confirmed the BLFC that is installed within her unit. If 0.5 gpm is not the actual fill rate for her unit, that could be the reason for the issues she has been experiencing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Although common, Paula has still not confirmed the BLFC that is installed within her unit. If 0.5 gpm is not the actual fill rate for her unit, that could be the reason for the issues she has been experiencing.
I have not yet noticed somebody post that their 10 inch softener with a 5600SXT came with a 0.25 BLFC. I was trying to keep an eye out. A 0.25 BLFC would be better.

If Paula has a 0.25 gpm blfc, that would certainly change things and explain the original BF setting.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I recall when I joined this forum, 0.25 gpm BLFC was also fairly common. What is installed depends on who assembled the unit. A dealer who may be short of valves could borrow one from an already assembled system which is sitting unsold, to complete a sold order of another size.

I prefer to not assume. An assumed 0.5 flow rate when a lesser BLFC restrictor is actually installed, would explain most of this poster's issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
I recall when I joined this forum, 0.25 gpm BLFC was also fairly common. What is installed depends on who assembled the unit. A dealer who may be short of valves could borrow one from an already assembled system which is sitting unsold, to complete a sold order of another size.

I prefer to not assume. An assumed 0.5 flow rate when a lesser BLFC restrictor is actually installed, would explain most of this poster's issues.
It could be a seller who was improving the performance. The 0.25 gives a lot of good granularity.

Your suggestion to check the BLFC is a very good one.
index.php

Paula, to do that, you can measure the amount of water that comes out of the brine line for filling, requiring you do disconnect something. Or you can look at the rubber washer in brine line area to see if it has a 50 or a 25. Or you could just look for a label that somebody put on the brine line connection area. The one above is common. If you have a different one, that will be interesting and useful info.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If Paula has a 0.25 gpm blfc, that would certainly change things and explain the original BF setting.
Her original BF setting was 11 minutes for 40K grains capacity. She has since reduced the programmed capacity to 30K and changed BF back to 11 minutes.

Because we identified 7 minutes @ 0.5 gpm is needed for regenerating 30K grains, she will then actually require 14 minutes @ 0.25 gpm.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Wow thank you guys SO much! I have the day off work so this will be my mission today. First off I'm going to go look for the exact BFLC. Then I will also do a regeneration where I can watch the brine fill and measure it.

There is so much that goes into water softener settings holy cow!! I kinda wish there were just some buttons... hard, soft, super soft.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Okay it looks like it's definitely .5 GPM

Attachments

• 15556783909818101884064092578189.jpg
    15556783909818101884064092578189.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 15556784293706966310100399789120.jpg
    15556784293706966310100399789120.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 276

PaulaJ

Reaction score
So right now water is still high in brine tank at 21.5 in before doing any regeneration. But I think I have plenty of salt in there.

Attachments

• 15556785117843471546744562875020.jpg
    15556785117843471546744562875020.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 187

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay it looks like it's definitely .5 GPM
You have a paddlewheel... Change your setting and I will edit some earlier posts on this thread.
FM = P0.7 ; usually t0.7 but Paula has a paddlewheel, so P0.7;

Putting t0.7 when you have a paddlewheel would cause you to go way (6.65 times) too long between regenerations.

Last edited:

PaulaJ

Reaction score
I just finished with a regeneration cycle I had switched some of the settings. For example I switched BW and RR to 5 minutes. I also changed BF to 7 minutes. I upped tge hardness to 24.

After brine draw before RR: there was 4 inches of water in brine tank.

After BF and regen was complete: 14.5 inches of water in brine tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
After brine draw before RR: there was 4 inches of water in brine tank.
Sounds about right with a salt grid.

Did you note about how long into the BD cycle the brine level got to 4 inches? 15 minutes would be good, although it is often earlier.

Was FM setting already P0.7?

PaulaJ

Reaction score
unfortunately I don't know how far along into the BD cycle that was. I set an alarm to go out and check it but it was already over. That was still with the t0.7 setting and not the P0.7.

Reach4

Reaction score
unfortunately I don't know how far along into the BD cycle that was. I set an alarm to go out and check it but it was already over. That was still with the t0.7 setting and not the P0.7.
No problem. The meter setting will not affect the brine draw or brine fill setting. It does affect how often the softener regenerates.

If your softener is outside, you need to protect it and your plastic pipe from UV. A big lightproof plastic tarp tied around the softener could do it, but there are prettier ways. Paint can protect the pipe and even the media tank. Your resin media tank may already be painted, but if it is yellow-tan, it is not painted. I guess the brine tank should be protected too. I don't know what the rain protection needs for the control are.

Bannerman

Reaction score
This thread shows the importance of not making assumptions and verifying everything, myself included. While I had repeatedly requested verification for the BLFC rate, I too assumed the turbine setting was the appropriate meter setting. The photos posted earlier today, clearly show a paddle wheel meter, not turbine.

Happy to see the BLFC rate has been verified and the reason for the issues being experienced is now evident.

Although a manual regeneration cycle was already performed today, since the resin's capacity had been previously exhausted and setting corrections may not have been all performed prior to regen, suggest verifying all recommended settings have been programmed and then perform an additional regeneration to ensure restoration of additional capacity above 30K which is the maximum capacity now programmed to be utilized. The brine drawdown can then be timed to ensure it remains within the usual 15 minutes of the 60 minute BD setting.

Last edited:

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Well I am just about at my wits end with this Fleck. I have owned it just over a year now but it's still not giving me close to 0ppm softness or slimy feeling water. I have tried so many settings, cleanings, regen attempts, but it is so inconsistent and never fully soft.

Should I bother try replacing the resin at this point and if so, what kind should I buy? Or just replace the whole thing and try something else like Culligan? So frustrating.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can trigger an immediate regen. You could step ahead to the BD cycle if you don't want to wait out the backwash cycle.
Should I bother try replacing the resin at this point and if so, what kind should I buy?
You should call a local service person. I think following the manual, forum suggestions, and troubleshooting may not be your thing. I don't feel like reviewing the first 30-some posts, looking at the gap between mid April and now.
Or just replace the whole thing and try something else like Culligan? So frustrating.
That would work, but calling a local service person knowledgeable the Fleck 5600sxt would be a lot cheaper.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You say it is not soft, but your Hach 5B test kit says it is soft?

You have a 1.25 Ft3 system, how many people in the house? Please retest the raw water.

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 30 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 22 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 250 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 14 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 10 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = usually t0.7 ; flow meter, make note of what is there
FM = P0.7 ; usually t0.7 but Paula has a paddlewheel;

If you want to maintain highly soft water, try this setting. Also run the system through an extra two regenerations.

This is a highly inefficient setting but it will give you "softer" water.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll give those a shot. 2 people in house.

Hach 5b with outdoor raw water took 20 drops. I currently have H=24 on machine. Tested hot shower water with Hach and it was blue right away. But that means it is 17ppm or less but not necessarily close to 0ppm I would guess.

I just didn't know if I have somehow prematurely exhausted the resin beads from running cycles 2-3 times a week over the past year. Every once in awhile it will finally feel the perfect soft consistency...but it seems to go away within 2 days. It's almost as though it will only work correctly if I go in and reset the settings first and manually regen...but will still only last a couple days. And only if I have a lot of salt (6 inches over the water line).

I have never cleaned the resin beads...does that help at all? Should I purchase resin cleaner? Our county water is very high in chlorine and possibly iron. I have tried to find a reputable tech but the ones suggested to me don't work on Flecks...just their own products.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Hach 5b with outdoor raw water took 20 drops. I currently have H=24 on machine. Tested hot shower water with Hach and it was blue right away.
That's 0 grains. One grain is plenty good for a residence. Why are you not totally pleased with that? Is it that the 0 is only right after a regen, and it rises to 4 grains/drops before the next regen?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks