Advice fixing Fleck 5600 SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a Fleck but the water definitely is not soft right now. It seems to be intermittently soft and it's never really been super soft (no slippery feeling) since I had it installed by a plumber in September 2018. Everything was brand new at the time. New resin tank, new brine tank, all new drain lines, etc. I also opted to order the better resin ( I forget what it was called but it's manufactured in the US and was more expensive).

I have a fleck 5600 SXT electronic 3/4 inch meter on demand control valve 40000 grain capacity.

After reading things to look for I decided to clean out the brine tank. It looked really dirty but there are no salt bridges. Still I'm in the process of shoveling out all of the salt pellets and washing it out really good and getting out all the dirt. There is a plastic netting basket at the bottom that I took out of the brine tank and it seems to be cracked and broken in places. (Photos below).

How big of a deal is this? Should I wait and find a replacement or just keep using it and put the salt back as is?

Attachments

• 15521497038701904421004182998400.jpg
    15521497038701904421004182998400.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 282

Reach4

Reaction score
You may not have the softener programmed to your water as well as it should be.

Do you have iron in your well water, or is this city water?

Is your tank 10x54 inches, or what?

You can leave out that salt grid.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Reach. I had another Forum member write me as well and he suggested some ways I can reprogram it. Here is what I have been working with...

• 40,000 capacity.
  • 2 people- relatively high water usage
  • Hach 5b just tested today: 18 hardness (outside hose) inside tap looks light blue/soft.
  • Testing strips show closer to 25-50ppm
  • Unincorporated county water Pinellas FL with chloramines. Not sure about iron content.
Settings:
VT/DF1b
Meter delayed format: CT/Fd
1 resin tank
Grain capacity: C/ 40
Hardness: H/ 20
SF safety factor SF/ 20
Day override: DO/ 10
Regen time: 2:00am
Backwash BW/ 10
Brine draw BD/ 60
Rapid rinse RR/ 10
Brine fill BF/ 7... ( I had changed this a few months ago I used to have it at BF / 11. But the level of water inside the brine tank seem too high all the time which is why I put it lower).

Last edited:

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Resin tank: On the order form the resin tank just said "standard size." You can see it in the photo below but it's buried very deep into the ground. From looking at it I'm going to assume it's a 10 inch by 54 in.

Brine tank is 15 inch by 17 inch by 36 inch rectangular.

The specific type of resin is Purolite C100e High Capacity caiton 8% Crosslink softening.

QUOTE="Reach4, post: 583600, member: 61511"]Tank size?[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 15521743141672606943590611719118.jpg
    15521743141672606943590611719118.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 277

Reach4

Reaction score
The specific type of resin is Purolite C100e High Capacity caiton 8% Crosslink softening.
1.5 cubic ft would be normal for a 10x54, so let's presume that.

Your outdoor tank and controller should be protected from the sun. You could paint the tank, or get a cover that covers the controller and the tank.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 20 ; including any compensation
People = 2 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 120 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 15.0 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 20 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons (increase if desired)
DO = 28 ; Day Override (city water)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = usually t0.7 ; flow meter, make note of what is there
FM = P0.7 ; usually t0.7 but Paula has a paddlewheel;

Alternatively, leave BF at 7, and change C to 33.1

Last edited:

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your time and advice! Does the brand of salt matter? I've been using Morton super saver clean and protect pellets.

My goal is to get the water to as soft as possible (slimy feeling). My hair is down to my waist and needs super soft water.
:)
Also, I do keep a 3 gal. bucket on top of the controller/ tank all the time to keep out the rain and sun.

Reach4

Reaction score
I like the Morton pellets.

Here are some a Alternative C and BF pairs:

BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 1.5

lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
4 ; 22.8 ; 4 (very salt-efficient)
5 ; 27.3 ; 5
6 ; 30.0 ; 6 (good softening but pretty salt-efficient)
7 ; 33.1 ; 7
; 36.0 ; 8 (very good softening but still pretty salt-efficient)
9 ; 38.5 ; 9
10 ; 40.5 ; 10 (even more soft)
11 ; 42.0 ; 11
12 ; 43.1 ; 12 (even more soft again)

So farther down the list is softer. The sweet spots are in bold.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If Total capacity is 40,000 grains, the quantity of resin will then be 1.25 cuft.

For 1.25 cuft, the useable capacity 'C' setting will then be 30 and Brine Fill setting will be 7 minutes. This BF setting assumes a BLFC (Brine Line Flow Control) refill rate of 0.5 gallons per minute so this number should be verified as there are other BLFC restrictors that may be installed. Other restrictors may be utilized but the BF setting will then need to be modified accordingly. The BLFC installed is normally specified on a label located nearby to the brine line fitting.

The salt setting is directly related to the usable capacity that is to be regenerated. Each 1 gallon entering the brine tank will dissolve 3 lbs salt. If you change the amount of water in the brine tank (ex: because you think it is too much), then you are also impacting the amount of capacity that will be regenerated.

As your previous 7 minute BF produced insufficient brine to regenerate 40,000 grains usable capacity (your previous 'C' setting), then the total resin capacity will have been exhausted. As the revised usable capacity specified above assumes the total resin capacity is available, then additional water will now need to be added to the brine tank to produce the appropriate amount of brine to regenerate additional capacity above 30K (current C setting).

With 7 minutes BF X 0.5 gpm BLFC means there should already be 3.5 gallons water in the brine tank. Using a bucket, add an additional 3.5 - 4 gallons to the tank, wait 1.5-2 hours for additional salt to dissolve and then initiate a manual regeneration cycle which should then provide the level of softness you would like on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If Total capacity is 40,000 grains, the quantity of resin will then be 1.25 cuft.
Good point. If the 40000 number was from marketing/sales material, then your 1.25 conclusion would apply. In that case, the tank would be 10" x 44".

If that number was just the number programmed in for C in the softener, then that conclusion would not apply.

PaulaJ, if you have 1.25 cuft of resin, here are settings for you:

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8.4 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.25 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 20 ; including any compensation
People = 2 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 120 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 12.50 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 30.9 ; capacity in 1000 grains
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
BF = 7 ; Brine fill minutes

Bannerman

Reaction score
Which is why I specifically said "IF total capacity is 40,000 grains ..."

1.25cuft does not specifically signify a 10" X 44" tank, as a taller 10" tank could also be used with that resin quantity.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Hi again!

So I am still having issues with the Fleck. It seems almost like I get *close* to a super soft/slippery feel water 2 days after a manual regeneration but then it goes away again in a couple days. Right now it is definitely feeling like hard water. Here were the latest settings I put in and it is nowhere close to being slippery/slimy. Could this be an issue with the actual unit and not the settings?? Should I have a professional come out and look at it? Is there an issue with the resin itself?

The latest settings that made it feel even harder:
Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 30.9 ; capacity in 1000 grains
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
BF = 7 ; Brine fill minutes

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What does your Hach 5B test kit say? If the system is working well, it should take less than a drop of reagent to change from purple to blue.

Reach4

Reaction score
The latest settings that made it feel even harder:
  1. Measure the circumference of the resin tank. You can use a sewing tape measure or other non-stretchy thing you can wrap around, and then measure. What is the circumference?
  2. What does the H-5B test kit show your hardness to be?
  3. Do you always keep enough salt in the brine tank that some salt is always above water?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The BLFC rate has also not been verified.

The 7 minute Brine Fill setting recommendation was based on an assumption of a 0.5 gpm BLFC being installed. If the actual BLFC is only 0.25 gpm or a lesser rate, then far less capacity will be regenerated each cycle and so it would not be surprising to run short of capacity long before regeneration is due.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! I just ran two regenerations back to back yesterday using these new settings. The water is now feeling somewhat softer after using these (but still not quite that slimy/slippery feeling). I am also including responses to all of your questions below as well. And again, THANK YOU!!! :)

Newest regeneration settings:
VT/DF1b
1 resin tank
Grain capacity: C/ 30
SF safety factor SF/ 20
Day override: DO/ 7
Backwash BW/ 10
Brine draw BD/ 60
Rapid rinse RR/ 10
Brine fill BF/ 11

Answers to questions:
1. Hach 5B Test: In house today it turns automatically blue (without any drops). See pic
2. Hach 5B Test: Next door neighbor without softener: Takes me 20 drops to turn to blue.
3. Resign tank circumference: 32"
4. Salt in brine tank: Usually the salt is about level with water, maybe 1" higher? After these 2 regenerations it is much lower than water line. Also, a bit of black film floating and around edges. I just fully cleaned out the whole brine tank a month ago.

Attachments

• 20190410_095231.jpg
    20190410_095231.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 270

Bannerman

Reaction score
I am also including responses to all of your questions
There has been no answer provided for the BLFC flow rate.

Answer #1: Suggest testing the softened water when you think the water feels hard, not directly following a regeneration cycle.

Reach4

Reaction score
2. To add high-hardness compensation, set H=22.

4. Keep at least part of the salt above the water. It is OK to tilt the salt pour to accomplish that.

PaulaJ

Reaction score
Thanks Banner and Reach!

I am noticing that about 4-5 days after regeneration is when the water starts feeling less soft. The Hach will still show soft water, but it is much less soft. I ran another regeneration 2 days ago (Monday) and something is still feeling off and my hair feels crispy.

Also, I just checked the water level in the brine tank and there is 21 1/2 inches of water with the last settings I used (relisted below) Is that part of the problem? Could it be a clogged injector or something like that?

VT/DF1b
1 resin tank
Grain capacity: C/ 30
SF safety factor SF/ 20
Day override: DO/ 7
Backwash BW/ 10
Brine draw BD/ 60
Rapid rinse RR/ 10
Brine fill BF/ 11

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks