Adjusting fan speed on direct drive blower

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
I have a Oneida/Royal LOB oil fired furnace with a direct drive blower. At some point, an AC tech bumped the blower speed to high, because there wasnt enough air flow. Now, Im thinking it was set for heating speed, which is supposed to be different than cooling speed (of course)

Id like to set it back to a lower heating speed so the furnace will run longer, more efficient, more comfortable (I hate forced hot air! but I dont have a choice)

Looking at the schematic Im not 100% positive what wire needs to be connected to the "speed lead" for the blower. The blower has 3 speed settings, using a red/blue/black lead. I see a yellow coming off the fan control going to a main junction box. From that box a yellow, black and white come into the blower junction box. White to white, obviously. Schematic shows Black to Blue on blower motor, and Yellow to Black on Blower motor.

My question is......which lead needs to be changed to get to a lower fan speed? Or, exactly which lead CONTROLS the fan speed.......is it the yellow from the Fan/Limit control?

If this is clear as mud, I apologize. Ill try to get a pic/scan of the schematic if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
If your motor does not have a wiring diagram on it , or a diagram on somewhere inside the furnace, check these tips from Fasco>> http://www.fasco.com/pdf3/page36-38.pdf

Thanks. It helped a little, but I still couldnt figure out what the line voltage input to the blower is.

See attached image of the schematic on my furnace. On the right are the 3 blower selections.....I have 1 of the 2 bottom ones, both 3 speeds, both with the same colors for the same speeds. Note the white yellow and black leads going into the blower junction box. The black lead is a thin gauge, almost like its from a relay. Yellow and white are the same gauge, almost like they are line voltage and common.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Chris

picture.php

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The blue lead on the motor is med, and is probably the heat setting. The black lead is hi, and is probably the cool lead. Moving the wire from the blue lead to the red lead would change that setting to medium.

Without being able to measure air flow, using the wrong blower speed can cause inadequate air flow and you could start to have temp limit issues.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
The blue lead on the motor is med, and is probably the heat setting. The black lead is hi, and is probably the cool lead. Moving the wire from the blue lead to the red lead would change that setting to medium.

Without being able to measure air flow, using the wrong blower speed can cause inadequate air flow and you could start to have temp limit issues.

"the wire"....does that refer to the yellow wire (looks like line voltage) or the thin black wire (which I cant really tell what it does)?

I figured it would be the yellow lead, connected directly to the red blue or black leads. But that still leaves the thin black lead coming in from the main j-box as an unknown.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks