Adjust hot/cold on single handle Moen bathtub control?

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMeredith

Reaction score
I just had a plumber replace the cartridge in my Moen bathtub single handle control unit. The next time I got in the shower and turn the control fully counterclockwise it does not go all the way cold but just less hot. Clockwise goes extreme hot. Counter clockwise goes less hot/warm but never gets to cold. it has been some time since I have worked on one of these but as I remember there might be an adjustment inside the handle without pulling the cartridge comma to adjust hot and cold limits. If I pull the plastic handle off is there an adjustment inside that will allow this to open more cold water when I rotate counterclockwise? I would like to avoid having to call the plumber back out again for something simple. Thank you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
CCW is supposed to get HOTTER and CW cold, NOT the way yours is working. Depending on WHICH Moen you have, you either rotate the stem, ONLY, or the entire cartridge to get it to work correctly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you pull for volume, then you have the 1200 or 1225 cartridge.
With those, you can rotate the cartridge stem 180 degrees with the handle off. Normally hot on the left, cold on the right. Unless the water is swapped, and then you rotate the stem 180.

If you rotate left for volume, then it's a Posi-Temp. That one should start cold and get warmer as it rotates left. You don't have an adjustment for volume on that one. If it starts off warm and gets colder as you rotate left, then the cartridge needs to be pulled and installed 180 degrees.

posi-stem-stop-2.jpg

With either valve, behind the knob there may be a limiter that prevents full rotation. Pulling the handle off gains you access to the parts that limit the swing.

moen-tub-shower-terrylove-04.jpg

moen-notch-down.jpg

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just installed a Moen Posi-Temp 62320 body and trim yesterday. You can call customer care for instruction on how to install the limits. Other sources may be to find it on line or on YouTube.
Or, if you want to bypass the limits (which are required by law to protect certain people from scalding) - do what Terry suggested.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, your plumber must have been less than a first year apprentice, because by that time they probably know HOW to repair a Moen faucet and ensure that the cartridge in inserted and oriented properly, AND HOW TO TEST IT after the installation, none of which your plumber apparently knew. The limit stop controls how far it rotates CCW, and since yours is backwards there is NO CONTROL over the hot water temperature and the stop prevents it from going to completely cold water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks