Additional RO filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a standard 5 filter RO under the sink, but have a huge filter vertically next to it. Much bigger than the others. What kind of filter is it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 592197D7-44BA-428E-8E13-B0EE9DF80822.jpeg
    592197D7-44BA-428E-8E13-B0EE9DF80822.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 316

Bannerman

Reaction score
Most packaged RO systems include equally sized 10" X 2.5" filters. Assuming that larger filter is feeding the RO unit (as opposed to feeding the regular kitchen faucet), I suspect it will contain a carbon cartridge for removal of chlorine or chlorimine, either of which is common in municipal sourced water.

As it seems you did not have this RO unit installed, the filter's contents cannot be assured until the housing sump is removed so as to expose the cartridge inside.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Most packaged RO systems include equally sized 10" X 2.5" filters. Assuming that larger filter is feeding the RO unit (as opposed to feeding the regular kitchen faucet), I suspect it will contain a carbon cartridge for removal of chlorine or chlorimine, either of which is common in municipal sourced water.

As it seems you did not have this RO unit installed, the filter's contents cannot be assured until the housing sump is removed so as to expose the cartridge inside.

ah! It looks like this:

Attachments

• AEBC814C-9454-46AD-8BB0-C4FDB90E9831.jpeg
    AEBC814C-9454-46AD-8BB0-C4FDB90E9831.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 182

Bannerman

Reaction score
Appears to be carbon of some type but, can't see the sides clearly. Any markings or numbers on sides or bottom of the cartridge? Where is that filter connected to?

If the unit was already in the house when you moved in, you probably don't know when the cartridges and the RO membrane were last replaced. Suggest replacing them all and sanitizing the housings and storage tank while the housings are empty.

The effectiveness of the membrane can be tested against the raw water using an inexpensive TDS meter, but membranes are relatively inexpensive and so replacing it with the cartridges may give you peace of mind that everything is clean, renewed and working as well as intended for your family initially.

The membrane will typically need replacing every 2-4 years whereas filter cartridges, 6-12 months.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hard to say, it could be a remineralizer of some type, an alkaline filter, specialty contaminant filter (bone char for fluoride reduction, etc...) or even a Di filter.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
That doesn't look like a stock part to the ro system. It was added on separately. Like someone said, could be a carbon filter or adding minerals back in. Actually now that I look again, you can see on the ro setup, there's a clamp on top of the ro membrane filter that would normally hold a polishing carbon filter. The filter is missing. I'm guessing someone added that carbon filter instead of purchasing the one that came with the ro setup. No biggie really. Probably just a standard carbon filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks