Adding wet bar in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Tejas

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a trying to finish my basement. During the process, I wanted to add a bar sink at a location. In order to plumb everything correctly, I needed advice.

The sink for the bar is about 12 - 13 feet from the nearest drain pipe which has been provided for a sink in a half bath. Half bath has a rough in for a toilet too and a three inch drain pipe close by. I have shown it labeled in the images. All images are below.

Here are my questions -
  1. Can I connect the bar sink drain pipe to the 1.5 inch pipe provided for the sink in half bath?
  2. If yes, how would I go about connecting the two. I have two images showing a direct connection as option 1 and option 2 has a side branch to the 1.5 inch vertical pipe and then the bar sink drain attached to it. Which would be the best and correct way out of the two. If both are not right then please suggest an alternative.
  3. Do I need to have a vent line for the toilet too which I would have to connect to the 1.5 inch vertical pipe provided for sink in half bath? Is that needed and or allowed? If the toilet needs to be connected to the 1.5 inch pipe then are three connections allowed on the vertical pipe?
I would really appreciate any advice regarding the matter above.
-Tj

HalfBathAll_roughin-lbld-resized.jpg
IMG_5560-resized.JPG
Barline_option1-resized-1.jpg
Barline_option2-resized-1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Venting needs to be within 42" of the trap on a 1.5" line.
The 2" coming up is also a wet vent for the basement bathroom. Normally you would the vent portion in 2" since it's venting the toilet.
Other sinks can't be part of the bathroom wet vent, though in real time use, the drain on a bar sink is very small, similar to a lav drain as to what goes down it.
There is code, and then there is ways that things work. A kitchen sink would be a no-go on a wet vent.

Tejas

Reaction score
Terry,

Thank you for such a prompt reply and the information regarding the issue.

So, in short, it is not possible to add in a small sink for washing glasses or getting water near the bar? The intention was not to use it as a kitchen sink.
Is there any way I could add a vent line close to the bar sink p-trap and then connect the bar sink drain to the two inch drain pipe or the 3 inch drain pipe near the half bath?

If not, would bringing in a plumbing professional help? Any idea of how much it would cost approximately? It would help me make sense if I want to even venture down that path to just add a bar sink.

- Tj

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you would be fine adding a small sink. I think it works, just not to the letter of the code "if you're wet venting"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks