Adding water softener to system

Users who are viewing this thread

Tremarshall

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place, but here is my delima. There is a pressure tank installed at a house I just bought, there is not a water softener or filter currently in place. I purchased a water softener and filter and have it in place now and am ready to hook them to the pressure tank and house, however I don't see a place to turn the pressure tank off while I make the connections and get the bypass in place. Can I simply turn the valve off coming in from the well to the pressure tank and the valve to the house and drain the pressure tank? Do I need to trip the breaker first as I find no on/off switch? it seems to me once the tank drains does it need to be primed some how when all the connections have been made and system turned back on (assuming I need to trip the breaker)?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20220815_191122[1].jpg
    20220815_191122[1].jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 72

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. Open the breaker. Drain the pressure. There may be a drain valve near the pressure switch. As part of your operation, add a valve. Or two. I cannot tell where all of your piping goes, but you should be able to close a valve that is downstream from the pressure tank. Do not put a valve between the well and the pressure switch.

Keep an extra o-ring on hand for the cartridge filter. Otherwise, if you change cartridges and cannot reuse the old o-ring, your water system is out of service.

Tremarshall

Reaction score
Yes. Open the breaker. Drain the pressure. There may be a drain valve near the pressure switch. As part of your operation, add a valve. Or two. I cannot tell where all of your piping goes, but you should be able to close a valve that is downstream from the pressure tank. Do not put a valve between the well and the pressure switch.

Keep an extra o-ring on hand for the cartridge filter. Otherwise, if you change cartridges and cannot reuse the old o-ring, your water system is out of service.
Thank you, o-ring is good know, there is already a valve between the well and the pressure tank, I haven't added the last of the pipes because I needed to disconnect the pressure tank from the house inlet to complete that and will use the old pipe as part of my bypass away from the filter and water softener. So, since there is already a valve between the well and pressure tank...leave it open?

Attachments

• Water.PNG
    Water.PNG
    768.4 KB · Views: 73

Reach4

Reaction score
Get rid of that valve between well and pressure tank, or at least somehow lock it open. Closing that valve would burn out the pump.
There is a gadget called a ball valve lockout.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Or just take the handle off that ball valve. You will loose about 10 PSI going through softeners and filters. You may want to turn up the pressure switch to accommodate. When the tank goes bad switch to a PK1A kit with a 4.5 gallon size tank to save money, space, and have even stronger constant pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks