Adding water softener and a/c condensate drains to washer stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobspla

Reaction score
I am replacing my laundry sink and am trying to eliminate both my condensate line from the a/c system and my drain from the softener going directly into the sink. Double "t" to put into the washer drain stack and was going to put the softener drain tube onto a barb on one side and condensate on the other. My thought was the the washer drain tube would just overflow in the event of a problem an not push back up the other drains. Anyone see a problem with this.

upload_2021-5-30_21-13-28.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that you want to feed the softener drain and the AC condensate into the 2-inch ID standpipe with the washer drain hose?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I don't know if by laundry drain stack is actually referring to a laundry standpipe as in the example shown here: https://maplewoodplumbing.com/residential-plumbing/laundry-room-plumbing/laundry-standpipe/
laundry-standpipe

A laundry standpipe is now commonly required to utilize 2" diameter pipe. The Double Y you show is 1.5".

Since a water softener will condition potable water, to prevent the possibility of cross-contamination, the softener's pressurized 'drain' line cannot be connected directly to the home's gravity drain system. To provide the correct separation, an air gap device may be added to a laundry standpipe so as to discharge the clothes washer (does not need an air gap) and also the softener and the heating system condensate pump (no air gap required).

Here is an example of an air gap device for use on a laundry standpipe.
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...machine-wall-box-drain?variant=13250434793515

Bobspla

Reaction score
Are you saying that you want to feed the softener drain and the AC condensate into the 2-inch ID standpipe with the washer drain hose?
Yes that was my plan but it looks like I need an adapter to do it correctly

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes that was my plan but it looks like I need an adapter to do it correctly
Not sure what the rules are in Canada, but if you put a wye below the fitting you pictured, and put your three sources into the picture you made, I think that gives proper air gap action. Or you could put the WM drain into a lower wye side, and put the other two sources into a wye above. A washing machine drain does not need an air gap.

Bobspla

Reaction score
Not sure what the rules are in Canada, but if you put a wye below the fitting you pictured, and put your three sources into the picture you made, I think that gives proper air gap action. Or you could put the WM drain into a lower wye side, and put the other two sources into a wye above. A washing machine drain does not need an air gap.
Interesting idea

Bobspla

Reaction score
I don't know if by laundry drain stack is actually referring to a laundry standpipe as in the example shown here: https://maplewoodplumbing.com/residential-plumbing/laundry-room-plumbing/laundry-standpipe/
laundry-standpipe

A laundry standpipe is now commonly required to utilize 2" diameter pipe. The Double Y you show is 1.5".

Since a water softener will condition potable water, to prevent the possibility of cross-contamination, the softener's pressurized 'drain' line cannot be connected directly to the home's gravity drain system. To provide the correct separation, an air gap device may be added to a laundry standpipe so as to discharge the clothes washer (does not need an air gap) and also the softener and the heating system condensate pump (no air gap required).

Here is an example of an air gap device for use on a laundry standpipe.
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...machine-wall-box-drain?variant=13250434793515
Got a similar adapter that solves the problem. Thanks everyone

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks