Adding Washer to Existing Kitchen Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfenn

Reaction score
My girlfriend just moved into a basement apartment that does not have washer/dryer connections. The owner is amenable to adding them if it can be done.

There is a 1.5" drain that serves the kitchen sink going along the wall that would serve as the washer location. See photo. The run along this wall is 5'-1.5", with a drop of 2.75" (11" to 8.75").

My present proposed solution is to replace the 1.5" section along the wall with 2" section. Then add a 24" length of 2" standpipe to a 2" p-trap above the new 2" section and connect to 2" section after a trap arm length of at least 4". This will place the top of the stand pipe at around 42". (24" stand pipe + 6" for the p-trap plus 2" for drain connector plus 10" for the height of the existing drain line. The kitchen drain line will have a 1.5" to 2" adapter before the washer drain.

Please advise if my present proposed solution is possible given the current IRC code.

20220211_145438.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you enter that cast iron with 3 inch? Let's see a sharp closeup of where the PVC meets the cast iron.

Under current IPC, the pipe that handles standpipe+something_else should be 3 inch. Not that 2 inch won't be up to the job in practice.

Had this been installed before some earlier date that I don't have for you, then the 2 inch would have been fine and grandfathered in.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally a proper tee would be used plus you lost your main clean out when the PVC was added
. 1 1/2" definitely small beyond legal anywhere your code requires 3 inch mine requires only 2 inch .
I could understand not wanting to cut the stack Which I believe is 4 inch. So Id try to get at least a 3 inch wye right at the connection and run at least 2 inch for the wash machine and kitchen sink. Assuming you aren't governed by plumbing codes

Reach4

Reaction score
I can put a 3" fitting into it. See attached.
That would make everybody happy. Kitchen would have been vented already. Add an AAV for the new 2-inch standpipe.
Introduce the standpipe with a wye or combo (combination 45 and wye)

Last edited:

Jfenn

Reaction score
That would make everybody happy. Kitchen would have been vented already. Add an AAV for the new 2-inch standpipe.
Introduce the standpipe with a wye or combo (combination 45 and wye)
My sincere thanks for your help. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Are you recommending that the washer drain be fitted with an AAV after the p-trap?

I made a sketch of how I thought it should be constructed. I thought the open standpipe on the washer drain would provide adequate ventilation so I did not include an AAV in the sketch. See attached.

Attachments

• Plumbing_Sketch.jpg
    Plumbing_Sketch.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 169

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice drawing tho. And good on picking up on the 4-inch trap arm minimum bit.

I think the easiest is to have another 45 with a sanitary tee on top and the AAV at least 4 inches above the santee.

I looked at couple of places for 2x2x2 pvc santees and did not find. https://www.coburns.com/products/pl...09306-2-pvc-dwv-sch-40-sanitary-tee-hxhxh-400 shows it.

For easier parts availability, you could use a 3x3x2 sanitary tee, with different parts to go with it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3...Hub-Sanitary-Tee-Fitting-C4811HD332/100342376

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks