Adding Washer and Utility Sink in Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris247

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am in the construction industry on the commercial HVAC/controls area. I have always done most of my home renovations/additions because I enjoy working with my hands and building things. For my next project I would like to add a washing machine drain and utility sink drain to my basement. The 4" main line is 48" above the basement floor and all the vent stacks are on the opposite side of the house. I would like to use a utility pump for the utility sink. They make a few that do not have a catch basin and the manufacturer specs state that it does not need to be vented. I could just drain the washing machine into the sink, but I would prefer to have the washing machine drain empty directly into the waste line. My thinking on this is so I do not have to deal with straining the washing machine discharge, dealing with the pump getting clogged, and using more electric to run the pump. The utility sink will rarely be used. I am attaching hand sketches of 3 options I thought were possible (sorry my drawing skills are awful):
Option 1: Utility pump and washer drain share a common waste line to the main.
Option 2: Utility pump and washer each have separate waste lines to the main.
Option 3: Washer dumps into utility sink and utility pump is piped into main without a vent.

My question is if these options will work and which is the recommended route to go. My main concerns are if the venting is acceptable on option 1 and 2. The next concern is if option 1 is acceptable is there a chance water from the pump will discharge from the washing machine standpipe and if so would a check valve work?

If anyone can provide any guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Option1.JPG
Option2.JPG
Option3.JPG
Option1.JPG Option2.JPG Option3.JPG

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I went through this with an inspector once when we added a second laundry to the basement of a home. The drain exited 4 or 5ft above the floor level. The clothes washer manufacture told us that if the hose could reach, their motor could lift the water to it but no higher or risk failure. The inspector rightfully pointed out that the installation of the laundry trap could be no higher than 18" above the floor per the UPC. But since it was a secondary laundry he would let it slide. Pumping into the sink is the more correct way to plumb that system.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Bay Shore is Long Island, NY where I grew up nearby, there are hundred of thousands of homes on LI with basements where the waste line exits the basewall about from 3-5 feet about the floor, sometimes higher. At one time every home on the the south shore of LI had cesspools (not septic tanks) and these waste lines had to be near the top of the cesspool. Usually about 5 feet wide and 6-8 feet deep. Washing machine hoses usually had to be extended to to reach the air gap drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks