Adding Utility Sink - Trap Height Question

Users who are viewing this thread

kucharskimb

Reaction score
Hi, from the New Guy...

I would like to add a utility sink in my garage. The area that i would like to install is on the opposite side of the wall that has the washing machine.

the washing machine has a vertical drain, which then runs horizontal for 18" before teeing into the vent-waste stack (1). below this tee, there is a clean out. the cleanout is just above the bottom wall plate (2). directly below the wall plate, the vertical drain turns horizontal, and heads for the main waste line (3).

the problem is that (2) is about 18" above the garage floor. i don't think the utility sink legs are tall enough to allow me to tie in high enough into the stack, even if i make the down tube to the trap very short.

what is the lowest point that i can tie in my trap to this dwv?

Attachments

• utility sink.JPG
    utility sink.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 792

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I hope you have not drawn the drain exactly as it is installed, otherwise there is no trap on the washing machine drain. You can install the tee up to a point about 3" below the sink's bottom, but that gets pretty tight to make the connection.

kucharskimb

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i guess my question is less of the sink question, and more of the tie-in question...

how low in my drawing can i tie-in a sink drain?

can i put a double Y at the clean out (2)?
can i put a Y where it turns horizontal (3), and continue the horizontal to my sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks