Adding Utility Sink - Drain and Vent Help Please!

Users who are viewing this thread

jshrop

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have been searching for a while on doing this project, and today I finally started probing around in the wall to see what I have to work with. First off, I'm in California, if that helps with what codes to work to. I haven't seen any other examples quite like what I have (which is always the case right?) so the first image attached is what I have now. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, I did all of my scouting with an inspection camera on a snake through a hole above and a hole below. The second image is what I was thinking of doing.

I guess the first thing is, am I approaching this wrong? Can I add another Sanitee below the one that is there for the washer drain if I pull the vent around way above the other piping? If not, should it be a fixture tee? wye? what? Second, what kind of tee do I need for a vent? Is a regular tee to code for the vent?

The original plumber installed the cleanout that is there now facing into the next bedroom, so I will be cutting this section out anyway to put a new cleanout which will face the laundry room, and actually have it come out the wall, because until today, I didn't even know it was there. If you have any other help, questions, or comments, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,306
  • proposed.jpg
    proposed.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5,000

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what you mean by a "normal tee", but a "straight vent tee" could be used, if you can find one. Otherwise a sanitary tee installed upside down is what we normally use.

jshrop

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I'll probably do the sanitee upside down. It's going to be tight coming above everything else and staying underneath a framing cross member, so the vent for the new line will probably have to be 1 1/2 instead of 2, but other than that I think I'm good now. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks