Adding toilet to basement. Will drain line dump a bunch of water/waste when I cut into it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rbemiller

Reaction score
We're adding a toilet to an unfinished basement bathroom. Fortunately, the bathroom is already plumbed with all water supply and drain pipes. And we already have an empty pump pit in the basement for an ejector pump. There are also drain and vent pvc pipes that come down next to this pit. So it's all ready to use as far as I can tell.

The only thing I have to do is purchase and install the ejector pump and connect to the drain and vent pipes.

My question: When I cut the existing drain pip, which clearly connects to the main drain pipe, am I going to have a mess of water and waste pour out of the pipe? I'm not sure if these pipes are typically empty unless something is actively draining, or not. I just want to be ready with bucket's and whatever else I may need, before I start cutting!

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would grab a bucket and be prepared for it to be full. It shouldn't be, but I didn't plumb your house so I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks