Adding to old vertical stack

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveTaylor

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am adding a new bathroom on the main floor and the current drainage exits the basement through a high line. I've been told "there isn't enough room in this stack" and it needs to be totally redone. My first question is, based on the picture could I run the tub drain into a side inlet tee with the toilet sani-tee? Or perhaps combine the tub and ejector with a wye (above or below the toilet)? This would free up the room I need, basically I need to bring in another 4" drain pipe. I will be adding a toilet, lav, shower and washer which will all be vented with AAM's. Thanks

side view stack1.png
front view stack1.png

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I'd rebuild using 3" no-hub for the entire stack. Up to three WCs and all the rest are allowed on 3" (or stick with 4"). Certainly your new additions can also be on a 3" line as well.
I would make the existing WC a 3" line and bring it up higher. Then, right below that, a double 3 x 2 wye, with the right side picking up the ejector, the left side can then pick up the tub.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The santee and wye 2 uppermost fittings would need to come out at a minimum its possible that part could be saved .
3 inch is fine for your addition

DaveTaylor

Reaction score
Thanks for the input but I'm still confused. 99% sure I'm going to have a plumber tackle this but I still want to know what's going on.

Basically, I think everything dumps into this vertical which is a wet vent for the toilet. The bathroom sink is at the top I assume, draining into it and using it as a vent. The first fitting from the top (tee) is a vent for the ejector pit. Then there is a wye fitting for the bathtub. I thought the tub is using the vent stack for venting as well, but I could be mistaken. Then we have the 4" from the toilet and finally the tee for the ejector pit discharge.
Would anyone be willing to draw a mockup of how I could get all of this connected, along with an additional 3 or 4 inch waste line coming in from the right?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
How is the tub vented?

The only thing draining into the top of the stack shown is a lav?

I'm pretty sure that the ejector pit vent should rise to the story above and connect to the lav's vent at least 6" above the lav flood rim, rather than connecting to the lav drain.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't draw it but, to save the stack, the top tee needs to go higher and the wye below that is removed to allow a wye to serve the addition the tub line will relocate by connecting somewhere in toilet branch.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Top santee was a vent for pump? No way should vent be tied below flood level of lav . If your plumber is competent and good I see no reason to object to building stack or whether you are going to get a better or cheaper job done by saving it

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
PS. The ejector piping should be run in pressure rated pipe and fittings and its discharge is rated the same as 4" gravity drain is the reason why you can't combine it with another fixture. It also should be the Most downstream connection to the stack as it is in this scenario. Combining it with another fixture as a double wye on the vertical is also acceptable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks