Adding storage tank to well and adding a constant pressure booster pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had 2 local well companies out to get an estimate on adding a 2500 gallon storage tank to our well.

Company a says I will no longer need my approx, 50 gallon pressure tank with a constant pressure booster pump (pulls water from the storage tank to the house).

Company b says that I will still need it and have done business with the company in the past.

Is there a special constant pressure booster pump that can make the pressure or would I still need a small pressure tank?

I understand that the cp booster pump has additional electronics that control things.

Cheers!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
They are trying to sell you an expensive Tar Baby that will just get more expensive as time goes by. Constant pressure is a good thing, variable speed pumps are the most expensive and least reliable way to get it. Tell them you want a regular and dependable jet pump with a PK1A kit to control it and deliver strong constant pressure. If you don't mind paying through the nose and being out of water on a regular basis those variable speed pumps are fine. If you want something inexpensive that will last 30 years, cost less up front, and won't cause any other cost for 30 years get a standard reliable jet pump and use a Cycle Stop Valve to control it.

You can also use a submersible well pump in the cistern and the same PK1A kit will give you strong constant pressure from that kind of pump as well.

Oh, and BTW, your pump guys are going to throw a fit when you mention this. They are going to tell you "back pressure" will burn up your pump, they won't warranty anything with a CSV, or lots of other things to try and talk you out of the CSV. They don't make much money unless they can con you into thinking you need a variable speed type pump. They will even tell you variable speed saves energy, which is a flat out lie. Even at lower amps a variable speed pump has to run so long to produce the water needed that the energy use will go up not down.

Jet pump and PK1A.jpeg

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
They are trying to sell you an expensive Tar Baby that will just get more expensive as time goes by. Constant pressure is a good thing, variable speed pumps are the most expensive and least reliable way to get it. Tell them you want a regular and dependable jet pump with a PK1A kit to control it and deliver strong constant pressure. If you don't mind paying through the nose and being out of water on a regular basis those variable speed pumps are fine. If you want something inexpensive that will last 30 years, cost less up front, and won't cause any other cost for 30 years get a standard reliable jet pump and use a Cycle Stop Valve to control it.

You can also use a submersible well pump in the cistern and the same PK1A kit will give you strong constant pressure from that kind of pump as well.

Oh, and BTW, your pump guys are going to throw a fit when you mention this. They are going to tell you "back pressure" will burn up your pump, they won't warranty anything with a CSV, or lots of other things to try and talk you out of the CSV. They don't make much money unless they can con you into thinking you need a variable speed type pump. They will even tell you variable speed saves energy, which is a flat out lie. Even at lower amps a variable speed pump has to run so long to produce the water needed that the energy use will go up not down.

View attachment 85757

View attachment 85758

View attachment 85759
Thanks for the info.

Another question, they have to use a rock saw to cut a 30' trench from the well head to where the tank will sit for the 2 plumbing pipes.

Is it ok to use the fines from the cutting or fill with sand then use the finds?

Rock is half of the length, rest is black clay.
Thanks

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
Thanks all for your help!

One last thing, what are folks using for their overflow pipe (1" in case the float switch fails) to keep the critters out?

One way check valve (on 1"pvc)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Overflow pipe? Do you mean the output of a pressure relief?

Does water come out of your "overflow pipe" if there has not been a failure somewhere?

Or are you maybe talking about the vent pipe that lets air pressure inside the well equalize with the atmosphere. That does not normally carry water -- only air.

To keep mice out, you can use a fairly course screen. To keep tiny tiny ants out, I am thinking 60 mesh, which is very fine. So if this is the output of a pressure relief, I might use something like a piece of plastic bag held on by a rubber band. If water comes out for real, the plastic blows off.

Tomahawk54

Reaction score

View attachment 85757

View attachment 85758

View attachment 85759
I like this set up a lot. I have been thinking about adding a storage tank to my well. I am looking at going with a Goulds J7S to a pk1a. One question on that set up. Do you still use the pressure switch on the jet pump and the pressure switch on the pk1a or do you somehow bypass the pressure switch on the jet pump and only use the pressure switch on the pk1a? Doesn't seem like you would need both pressure switches?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Only need one pressure switch, and it must sense after the CSV. So, using the wiring diagram below for "jet pump" you just use the switch on the motor as a junction box to connect the motor wires to the pressure switch on the PK1A.

wiring diagram.jpg

Tomahawk54

Reaction score
Only need one pressure switch, and it must sense after the CSV. So, using the wiring diagram below for "jet pump" you just use the switch on the motor as a junction box to connect the motor wires to the pressure switch on the PK1A.

View attachment 89779
Thank you for the response and the diagram. I am going to do some more reading on the CSV system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks