Adding standpipe and utility sink - venting?

Users who are viewing this thread

mars0282

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to move a washing machine and add a utility sink to an existing drain which comes from the upstairs kitchen sink and also vents straight to the roof. I would be tapping in above the concrete slab and adding a sanitary tee, a length of pvc, and then a trap to the standpipe. I’d then add another sanitary tee above the washing machines sanitary tee for a utility sink. Would I need to do anything else from a venting perspective?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would be tapping in above the concrete slab and adding a sanitary tee, a length of pvc, and then a trap to the standpipe. I’d then add another sanitary tee above the washing machines sanitary tee for a utility sink. Would I need to do anything else from a venting perspective?
Either use 2 AAVs, or join the vent pipes 6 or more inches above the top of the standpipe or sink-- whichever is higher.

mars0282

Reaction score
Either use 2 AAVs, or join the vent pipes 6 or more inches above the top of the standpipe or sink-- whichever is higher.

since the upstairs sink also drains down the vent pipe, would I need to join at 42” above my first floor? Or am I able to join back in 6” above the standpipe in the basement?

Reach4

Reaction score
since the upstairs sink also drains down the vent pipe, would I need to join at 42” above my first floor? Or am I able to join back in 6” above the standpipe in the basement?
You can join 42 inches above the basement floor IF the top of the standpipe is 36 inches or less above the floor. Then after joining, the joined line goes up to the AAV.

Where 42 inches above the first floor floor would apply is is you are bringing a vent pipe down from the first floor.

mars0282

Reaction score
You can join 42 inches above the basement floor IF the top of the standpipe is 36 inches or less above the floor. Then after joining, the joined line goes up to the AAV.

Where 42 inches above the first floor floor would apply is is you are bringing a vent pipe down from the first floor.

AAV’s are not allowed in my state so I’d like to avoid using one. Attached is my professional artistic rendering of what I’d plan on doing. Would this not be okay since there is a sink draining from upstairs?

Attachments

• AEB62A6C-3567-4161-93A9-086E5599ECD0.jpeg
    AEB62A6C-3567-4161-93A9-086E5599ECD0.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 214

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sink upstairs is not a vent. When the upstairs sink drain it siphons the traps below. For that reason, the traps below need vents.

dwv_b2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks