Adding Soffits and Insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

sctclimbs

Reaction score
I live in Colorado and want to add attic insulation to bring my current R19 up to R49. I plan on using blown-in cellulose. I only have soffits at each corner of my home and would like to add more. The eaves have vinyl siding on them and the 4 current soffits are essentially the same material with perforations for air flow, obviously installed together with the rest of the siding. I cant find anything like that at HD. Can I just cut into the vinyl and add some cheap aluminum soffits. Good idea/bad idea?

Also under the current R19 insulation there is no vapor barrier. It has been that way for the 40+ years this house has been around. How important is it to have vapor barrier below. It would be a heck of a mess to pull all that stuff up to add it but I would do it if it is truly important.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Check your state code on the amount of ventilation area required. Here we are able to reduce the required area from 1/150 to 1/300 if a polyethylene vapor barrier is installed instead of kraft paper.

I recommend that you add the vapor barrier. Although it may be difficult now it may be next to impossible after you add more insulation. It will make the insulation more effective by keeping it dry.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I'd have to see a picture or a sketch to make any specific recommendations. You should look through the siding manufacturer's literature and see what is recommended for termination and transition details.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks