Adding sink next to wrong side of washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Ajt2014

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been reading countless forums searching for an answer to my problem I'm facing. I have learned quite a bit the last few days about plumbing, being an amateur.

The dilemma I am facing is that the sink I am adding is on the other side of where the vent stack is. I have attached a drawing of what is currently there and where I'm wanting to put the sink.

The issue I'm facing is that all the tutorials and questions is see similar to this are all when the sink is on the other side of the vent, making it simple to tie into the drain/vent stack (the one common photo I see on a lot of posts).

One "solution" (possible maybe?) Would be to use an AAV (legal in Oregon where I live). I have attached another photo of what I believe would work, maybe?
Screenshot_20180622-082141.png

Another "correct" solution would be to do something like this I believe?
Screenshot_20180622-082103.png

The distance from the sink to the main stack is gonna be about 4.5 feet.

If you need any more info, I'll be active on this forum post...

Reach4

Reaction score
In both of your sketches, the sink does not have a P trap. You could give each trap arm its own AAV. There would an alternative to use one AAV with other piping.

Another possibility is to discharge the washer into the sink and have no standpipe.

Last edited:

Ajt2014

Reaction score
Okay, so would this work then since the sink would have a p trap and the AAV would be after the sinks p trap? Screenshot_20180622-093752.png

The blue and red are already there. Green is what I'm adding.

The washer into the sink is not an option since this sink will be a small "bar" sink, 6 inch deep sink.

Is there any way I could pipe the sink into the washer standpipe? This would be the easiest to do but I don't think it is really allowed.Screenshot_20180622-094133.png

IF this is possible, would I still need a p trap for the sink since there is a p trap for the washer drain?

Thank you guys.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there any way I could pipe the sink into the washer standpipe? This would be the easiest to do but I don't think it is really allowed.
I am not a plumber, but I don't think it is allowed. It would probably work fine.

IF this is possible, would I still need a p trap for the sink since there is a p trap for the washer drain?
No P-trap for the sink in that case.

To make your drawing better, you want to join the sink drain below the sanitary tee that the washer uses. If you post a photo of the existing stuff might help. More knowledgeable people may have a better suggestion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the standpipe has a trap, I have seen the sink tied into that without the additional AAV.
Is it code? I'm not sure. Anybody here try that before?

Ajt2014

Reaction score
Okay guys, bear with me... My Photoshop (paint) skills are subpar. I have one photo of the wall currently... I followed the baseboard to where the washer standpipe to the left (out of the photo)... I don't have another photo now. Sorry for the mess...
download_20180622_095650.png

Reach4

Reaction score
What we are thinking about is like that but with no AAV.

Ajt2014

Reaction score
What we are thinking about is like that but with no AAV.
That makes it easier...

You mentioned connecting the sink to the standpipe below the sanitary T that the washer uses? The sanitary tee is the part where the blue connects to the red, correct? Or is the last drawing I have posted good (and removing the AAV)?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You mentioned connecting the sink to the standpipe below the sanitary T that the washer uses? The sanitary tee is the part where the blue connects to the red, correct?
Yes.

Or is the last drawing I have posted good (and removing the AAV)?
Whether it is technically OK, is maybe debatable. I think it would work fine anyway.

The connection to the standpipe would be a wye. The sink pipe would be at 45 degrees near the standpipe.

408guy

Reaction score
This is how I would roll if possible. 2” waste below the trap, and 1.5” vent, or second drawing attempting to illustrate @Reach4’s point:

Attachments

• 2AD01796-1B41-489A-9AE3-481B6BCECD40.jpeg
    2AD01796-1B41-489A-9AE3-481B6BCECD40.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DAC546DD-06E5-4943-BFEA-BEE701B46EA0.jpeg
    DAC546DD-06E5-4943-BFEA-BEE701B46EA0.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 217

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have the wall open there. It would be so easy at this point to cut out the washer and run both the washer and sink the right way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks