Adding sink drain to existing laundry standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

dewhite04

Reaction score
Hello all. I've lurked here for years, but this is my first post. I'm replacing our old side-by-side washer/dryer pair with a stacking set of front-loaders and want to re-purpose the space next to them for a utility sink (I plan to use a typical kitchen type sink with a 10" deep single-bowl, dropped into a 1.5" inch top on a standard 36" x 34.5" x 24" base cabinet that I will build). Because of the style of cabinet and sink, I do not wish to dump the washer discharge into the sink.

I've removed the old cabinets and machines and poked a couple of "inspection" holes to see how everything is laid out, and after reading a few threads, here and elsewhere, I have a first-draft plan. I wanted to see if anyone here can tell me if my plan to modify the vent/drain is: 1. likely to function properly, 2. up to code, 3. the simplest solution.

This is happening in Harris County, Texas on the 1st floor of a slab-on-grade home - so there won't be any permitting or inspections required and I don't have access to the pipe below grade. There are no other fixtures plumbed into this stack and the existing vent continues up through the roof. I'm attaching pictures depicting the existing and proposed plumbing, along with a 3D image of what my wife has been promised will be the final results...

Any input, questions, thoughts, references, etc will certainly be appreciated!

zoa5T8n.png

0aBPtAg.png

SMR7tjg.png

Thanks,

Dan

Msvlbob

Reaction score
Hi Dan,
I saw your post as I was looking for advice on a project that is almost identical to yours. (Stacking w/d on left and adding a deep sink on the right) I haven't started the project yet but opening the walls in a day or so. How did your project go? Finished? I might ask some questions on the plumbing/venting if you don't mind. Thanks, Bob

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer and the sink each need to be vented. You can also use a double fixture fitting, but I prefer stacking santees and venting whichever trap arm needs venting. My parents home growing up used a double santee for the washer and a sink, and eventually the continual flooding caused the floor to rot out. When I became a plumber, I took the floor out, flipped the laundry to the other side of the wall into what we used to call "the shop" and built a large bathroom with tub, shower, double vanity, bay window, skylight.

washer-rough-terrylove-01.jpg

In your case, this would flip and the drain for the sink would go sidewise until it got to position and then 90 out of the wall for the p-trap.

Where the washer dryer used to sit. Done in the 70's and the tub faucet too way too long to fill. After that I started using Grohe with 3/4" inlets.

japanese-soaking-tub-terrylove-02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks