Adding second sink on same drain

Users who are viewing this thread

lumberguy

Reaction score
Hi,
I am working on remodeling our kitchen but would like to add a prep sink with a g-disposer about 10 ft away from the main sink with a g-disposer. We have a full basement so all the drain pipes are exposed so easy to work on but my question is my main sink drains into a 1 1/2" cast iron pipe that goes under the foundation of the house and meets up with the main 4" drain under my back yard. Is it ok to connect two sinks on a 1 1/2" drain pipe? If not, is there something else I can do to conform with code to make this possible? We are still in the design stage of the kitchen and this would be a game-changer in the design, so I need to know if this can be done by washington state code

UPC Uniform Plumbing Code
Thank you ahead of time

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally there is a 2" hub close by that the 1.5" comes out off.
I would look for that.

Kitchen sinks use 2" now, and the trap arm and trap can be 1.5"
Two sinks will need 2"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

THere were few 1 1/2" cast iron drain lines installed, so your sizing may be off. I am guessing that the drain part of the equation will be the easy part. What will you do for a vent?

lumberguy

Reaction score
Pipe dia.

I don't know what the ID of the pipes are but I measured the OD of the vertical pipe going into the foundation from the sink at 1.900". Right before it goes into the foundation it couples with another pipe and the OD of the exposed coupler is 3.650" (so maybe that is 2") The house was built in 1943 so it may have been up to code back then.

As for the venting we will have the room gutted and we should be able to add a vent straight up the wall and through the roof...would all this work?

Thanks again
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks